XLIII

Word Count: 1,611
Y/N's POV

The ride back to camp was just as mundane as I'd anticipated. We had to make a few pit stops for pee breaks, but that was about it. Preston was in a notable amount of pain caused by staying in the same position for so long, but he was a good sport about it. Preston cracked jokes the whole time, being sure not to laugh too hard. Whenever Preston laughed, the pain was unbearable for him. We were lucky that the doctors had sent him back with pain meds.
"We're almost to camp, kids!", Gwen reminded us. We all sort of just nodded. We were too tired to care all that much. The idea of taking Preston back to camp was exciting, but the idea of a long car ride to the hospital and back was not. "Y/N and Harrison, you two are gonna' need to help Preston get around."
Harrison and I nodded, both of us paying little mind to her blabbing. "What happens when Max sees me?", Preston piped up. I frowned. As much as I wanted to say something reassuring, I just couldn't bring myself to do so. I was scared to tell Preston a lie. The truth is, Max was an unpredictable force to be reckoned with. "Would he hurt a cripple?"
Harrison rolled his eyes. "Preston, you're not a cripple!", he argued. Harrison crossed his arms. "Besides, I'm sick of his shit. He pushes me around, too, you know?" Harrison fiddled with his collection of multi-colored dice in his hands.
"We're here!", Gwen announced. The car continued traveling down the dirt road which lead to the camp we all knew and loved. Well, some of us, anyway. I shook my head. "I can't wait to stretch my long-ass legs!"
Gwen parked the car near the front entrance of the camp. "Y/N, you get out since you're the one on the end.", Harrison instructed. "You can help him up, and I'll support him from the back."
I gave Harrison a nod and exited the vehicle. I crossed over to Preston's side and opened the car door closest to him. "Okay, hold onto me. We can take it slow.", I told Preston. I looked behind me to see Gwen long gone, already on her way to someplace vacant of campers. I looked back to Preston and took him by the hands. I allowed him to stand at his own pace. Preston grunted as he tried lifting himself up. Harrison gave Preston a boost from behind. Soon enough, Preston was upright. I helped him walk forward so that Harrison was able to get out of the car. Once out, Harrison supported Preston from behind at the waist.
I started to walk backwards, keeping my grip on Preston. "Where do you wanna' go?", Harrison asked. Harrison wrapped his arms around Preston's waist and pecked him on the cheek.
"Guys!", I scolded. "It's nasty over here!" Harrison laughed. "I kid, do what you want. I'm just pickin' on you." I laughed with Harrison for moment.
"We could hang out in the mess hall. I'm hungry, anyway.", Preston answered. I nodded to myself. I noticed that we had made it to the center of camp. If I looked over my shoulder, I would've been able to see the lake. "I forgot about how much it smelled like shit here. I wonder if anybody messed with my show props? Has Space Kid been cleaning the stage like he promised?"
Since when has Space Kid been working for Preston? "I doubt anybody's touched your stuff, Preston.", Harrison reassured. I continued focusing on keeping Preston upright and comfortable. The puffy collar on Preston's top made it a bit difficult to see his feet. I'm sure he's doing okay. "By the way, the other day Nerris told me to tell you that she casted a 'get well' spell on you."
Preston stifled a chuckle. He winced in pain. "Ah, well, it's the thought that counts.", Preston replied, implying his disbelief in Nerris' magic.
We were nearing the mess hall. "No need to worry, I used my magic to heal you.", Harrison claimed.
"Truly?", Preston asked.
Harrison laughed. "Hell no!", he wheezed. Harrison adjusted his hat through his fit of laughter. "Real magic doesn't work like that. I assumed you would've known that."
     I used my left foot to try and kick open one of the doors to the mess hall, attempting to stay balanced with my right. I stuck my tongue out, keeping focused. Once the door was opened far enough, I was able to back up and use my weight to keep it open long enough for Harrison to help Preston through, allowing me to plant both feet on the ground again.
Harrison helped Preston hobble his way to a table and helped him sit. "I'll find you something to eat, Preston.", I told him. "I'll be right back." I disappeared into the kitchen.

Harrison's POV

"What a doll!", Preston remarked as Y/N walked away. I rolled my eyes. "What?"
I cracked my knuckles. "You know what!", I fumed. I shoved my hands into my pockets and started whisper-yelling. "It's always about her! It's like- it's like it's never about me! It's like everywhere we go it's Y/N this, Y/N that!" I was nose-to-nose with Preston. "It's like you don't even want me anymore."
Preston scooted away and shook his head. "Harrison, honey, you know that's not true.", Preston whispered. He supported his head with his hands, which where propped up on the table. Preston's caramel eyes sparkled. I remembered how golden they had always looked in the sunlight. "She's a close friend, but she's no more than that."
My heart was skipping beats. The pain of not believing him was indescribable. "You liked her at one point.", I painfully sighed. The worst bit of it all was that Y/N was my friend. I couldn't just hate her, I couldn't even dislike her. All I could do was recognize my pain and move forward. "This isn't gonna' work, if you keep being all...you know!"
Preston put a finger to my lips. "Harrison, not in front of her.", he whispered. I was caught off guard to see Y/N walking over to our table.
"A plate of slop for you!", she chirped, handing a plate over to Preston. I quickly settled back into my seat. My hands were placed at my sides. "Oh, and I think they're even leftovers!" Y/N winked with a chuckle. I let out a sneaky huff.
I stood. "You know, I really should be practicing my card tricks.", I announced. I gave Preston a nod and walked away, hoping he understood. I left the mess hall in a hurry. I think I can fix this.

Max was in his tent, snacking on a bag of marshmallows. I walked over to him. "Hey, uh...Neil here?", I whispered shyly.
Max rolled his eyes. "What, you want your ass beat, too?", he spat. "The fuck you want? God, I'm so sick of your shit!" Max angrily grabbed his head.
I shook my head, mouth agape. "Uh, no!", I promised. I closed the opening to Max's tent, leaving us in private. "Truce on the whole Preston thing. I, uh...I need your help."
I swallowed. Max's lips curled into a devious smirk. "I can help.", Max offered. He closed his bag of marshmallows and stuffed them under his bed. "But it's gonna' cost you."
My hands were beginning to clam up. "Sure.", I agreed. "I just need you to..." I surveyed the tent. I popped my head outside and looked around. We were definitely alone. I once again shut the flap of the tent and sat on Neil's bed. "Keep your girlfriend away from Preston."
Max laughed. He just kept on laughing. Is this a joke? Max was holding his stomach, even! "Harrison, my guy!", Max cackled. He wiped a tear from his eye and tried to calm down. Max took a few deep breaths. "You're in the right place. Trust me, I fucking hate it just as bad as you do."
I felt my face heat up. "Well, that's not really helpful, you know.", I mentioned.
Max rolled his eyes. "I'm just as stuck on this one as you are. Listen, I'm doing what I can, but my bitch has got a little mind of her own up there.", Max insisted. He pointed a finger to his noggin. "You just keep an eye on Preston, and I'll keep an eye on Y/N. But I'm telling you now, if anything happens to her, I'm pointing my finger at you. You know what happened to your little Romeo?" I swallowed hard. "The same damn thing is gonna' happen to you! Now get the fuck out of my tent!" Max shooed me away. I left in a hustle.
I might've just made a mistake...
__________________________
A/N - The multimedia at the top is actually a picture that I took yesterday. I went on a really fun hike and thought that the pictures I took really fit the whole "Camp Camp" vibe. (I dunno, woods, hiking and stuff lol). Anyway, I know I went dry for a hot minute yesterday and didn't update. It's no big deal, I just wanted a break and wasn't feeling too inspired. Like I've said before, I'm not on any sort of uploading schedule, so don't expect updates at specific times. ☁️

Comment Question of the Chapter:

Have you ever actually gone to a summer camp? If so, what did you think of the experience?