XXII

─── ❖ ── ✦ ── ❖ ───
Notice
I am no longer adding a 'quote of the chapter' at the top of the chapter because I felt like it sort of spoiled what happens. Anyways, it's not a big deal, but I wanted to make sure I told you.
─── ── ── ───

Y/N's POV
Word Count: 1,042

It was roughly seven o'clock. Everyone was starting to get their showers and prepare to go to sleep. I knew Max, though. There was no way in heck that he planned to go to bed on time. Because of that, I still had lots of time to catch him and talk to him.

After a short walk to his tent, I went ahead and raised the flap to enter. Max was sitting on his bed eating a pack of saltine crackers he'd likely stolen from the mess hall. "Um, h-hi.", I greeted. His stone-cold expression took me by surprise. I quickly gathered my bearings and got to the point. "We need to talk about something."
Max let out a low grumble. He scooted over and patted his bed, motioning for me to take a seat. I gladly took plopped down beside him. "What's the matter this time?", he asked. The tone of annoyance in his voice was cancelled out by the grin on his face. "Cracker?" He waved a saltine in front of my face. I nodded and took it. "You seem kind of 'off'."
I munched on the cracker and swallowed it before I spoke. My movements were slow. I didn't want to startle Max in any way, but I still had to address the issue. "I heard that David is going to try and separate us.", I announced. Max stretched out an arm and shrugged. He continued eating his saltines as though what I said hadn't mattered. I let out a frustrated groan. "M-Max, what should I do?"
Max let out a laugh. He then hunched over on his bed and started coughing. Oh, crap. Luckily, he was able to swallow the little bit of cracker that must've blocked him up. Before he spoke, he scratched his head. "What?", he prompted. "You really think that piece of shit has the heart to separate us? Plus, we've got Gwen, anyway."
Max handed me his pack of crackers. There were only two left. Go figure. "Thanks," I commented. I ate a cracker. I was, in fact, a bit hungry. "I think we should be careful. Who knows what David might do? After what you did, well..."
He sighed and slung an arm around my neck and pulled me into a cuddle. "I know.", he said. Max leaned his head onto mine. We stayed like that for a few seconds, just thinking. "If-"
"He's going to do something.", I groaned. Max raised an eyebrow. "I-I mean, think about it, he has to. For 'safety' reasons." Max rolled his eyes. "No, really! From our perspective it's not a big deal, but to David it's totally different, r-right?"
Max let out a hearty laugh looked me square in the eyes. "Now you really are a little shit, aren't ya'?", he jested. I gave him a sheepish shrug in response. "I guess you've got a point, though. I don't know. We'll deal with it when it comes, but it won't do you no good shittin' bricks about it."
In the weirdest way, it was sort of comforting. If he didn't have to worry about it, then why should I? Realistically, however, I knew I'd have to come to terms with it at some point. "So I should leave it alone for now?", I questioned.
The boy freed me from his grip and stood up to throw away a few food wrappers. "I would.", he suggested. He shrugged. "But do whatever you want. It's your life, I guess." He walked back over to me and took my hand. He pulled me up to my feet.
"Okay," I agreed. I pulled Max into a quick and awkward hug. It was kind of tense, but only because it was a bad time. Before I let go of him, I took a little whiff of his hair. It always sort of smelled nice. Even though he never looked like he had put effort into himself, he had fairly good hygiene.
Once we broke apart, Max shot me an awkward grin. "I'll see you tomorrow.", I told him. I waved 'goodbye' and left his tent.

As I walked to the showers, I couldn't help but think over everything that had happened recently. The fact that I still loved Max even after he attacked Neil was so terrible, but I seen more to that boy. It hurt me so much because I knew that people seen Max as this monster of a human. And, from their perspectives, maybe they were right, but I had the opportunity to see things differently.
I was wondering if David was able to see things my way. In fact, he probably did. During our talk in his office, he mentioned that there things about Max that he knew and I wasn't allowed to know unless Max told me. David was probably nodding towards Max's relationship with his parents, which I now knew.
But, if that was true, then why would David aim to break us up? If he knew that deep down Max wasn't this hostile person who he shows everyone, then what motive would David have to break us up?

Even after my shower, this question continued to pop in and out of my mind. I struggled to sleep, tossing and turning. Nikki got so annoyed with my constant mumbles and fussing that she had decided to sleep outside, 'as nature wanted it to be'. I just couldn't get it out of my mind.
__________________________
A/N - Okay, Houston, we have a problem. Band camp is coming up really soon. Next week. It is a contestant twelve hour practice that spans the entirety of my time to write. Sadly, I will be forced to go on a hiatus. HOWEVER, don't fret, as soon as camp ends I will be back in action. I will also make a chapter with a more in-depth explanation of all of this on the first day of camp. ☁️

 ☁️