XLI

Word Count: 1,312
Y/N's POV

I'd spent hours watching Harrison perform his magic tricks. Though I wasn't a big fan of magic acts, Harrison had been a big help for me at the time. The tricks took my mind off of Preston. Gwen and I sat in two hospital chairs facing Harrison. Harrison would pull rabbits from hats, summon doves, and he'd always known what card I'd picked.
"Hey, Harrison?", I asked.
I looked at the clock. It had been three and a half hours since we'd settled in. One in the morning? I guess we're here overnight... "Yeah, Y/N?", he responded.
Harrison stuffed his never-ending rope of multi-colored kerchiefs back into his hat. "I'm just wondering about how you did all of that stuff.", I puzzled.
Gwen shrugged. "The kid's actually a fuckin' genius. That little bitch can do just about anything, and nobody at camp knows how he does it.", she commented. Gwen took a sip from her cup of water.
About two hours ago we had stocked up on food at the hospital's food court. It was nearly closing time for the food court, and we were all really hungry. "It's magic, silly!", Harrison persuaded. I pursued my lips and shook my head. "Oh, why yes it is! Besides, a good magician wouldn't reveal their secrets either way. But, I'm telling you, I'm most definitely a real magician."
I raised a doubtful eyebrow. "Whatever you say, Captain.", I accepted with an eye roll. I held out my hand, palm upright. "If you're really so magical, how about you 'poof' me a chocolate bar?"
Harrison chuckled. "Oh, come on now, I'm not that easy!", he rejected. Harrison waved his pointer. "Magic isn't meant to be exploited, only to be shared and appreciated."
Gwen tapped her nails on the armrest of her chair. "Lame excuse, Harrison.", Gwen sighed.
I yawned. "Believe what you want, but you were entertained either way.", insisted Harrison.
"It's really late.", I mentioned. Harrison and I took a glance at the clock.
"Yeah, you kids should be getting to bed.", Gwen thought aloud. She yawned. "I'm sorry you guys are gonna' be here overnight. What a bust! We didn't even get to see Preston."
The room fell silent. We all looked at each other with a foreboding sense of understanding. Nobody wanted to discuss the elephant in the room. Harrison was quick to switch the subject. "Where are we going to sleep?", Harrison asked. He brought his eyebrows together and thought for a moment. "Also, are we even allowed staying here overnight?"
"I don't care, we've been through so much shit today. I just wanna' sleep.", Gwen whined.
"But Gwen, there's only two chairs to sleep in!", Harrison reminded her. I sunk down in my seat and closed my eyes.
Gwen laughed to herself. "Sleep on Y/N, she's already half asleep anyway, it's not like she'll give a fuck.", she suggested. Gwen crossed her arms and sprawled out in her seat.
I felt a weight on my lap. I could smell blueberry shampoo accompanied by the feeling of soft hair. Eh, he's not that heavy. Whatever. It would've taken too much energy to've said anything, so I'd chosen to pretend to sleep. "I feel like an idiot, Gwen.", Harrison whisper-yelled. "You're lucky I'm too tired to care."
Gwen never responded. And that, my friends, was our night.

"...pizza from the food court."
A cough. "No, I want actual pizza!"
A groan. "Shut up, you rats! I'm ordering Chinese takeout."
"What about Y/N?" Eyes still shut, I brought a hand to my head. I stretched my legs and yawned. I opened my eyes and crossed my arms, followed by another yawn.
"Coffee.", I groggily sighed. Still zoned out, I had no idea what was going on or what I was even looking at.
"Well, you heard the woman!", a passionate voice rang. "She wants her coffee and she wants it now! Make it snappy!"
Wait...that could only be Preston! I slapped myself on the cheek to break my drowsy stupor. I smiled what had to've been about the biggest smile on planet Earth. "Preston!", I yelled. I hopped out of my seat. I saw Preston laying in his hospital bed. I looked around the the room to notice that Preston and I were the only ones present. "A-Are you okay? Do you need anything? Where's-"
"Gwen's ordering food and Harrison is getting you a coffee.", Preston interrupted. He repositioned his I.V. fluid tube so that he could wave me over. "Come here, we haven't talked in so long!" I slowly walked to his bed. I held onto the handle at his side and leaned over to him. He was wearing a white hospital dress with light blue geometric designs. Preston's hair was far rattier than the usual. "So?"
I tried looking for any surgery scars, but couldn't see them because of Preston's gown. "Do you feel okay?", I asked him.
Preston grabbed my hand. The hand in which he was receiving fluids from was rested on his thigh. "I'm alright, Y/N. A lot of pain, but I'm nowhere near death. You don't have to worry, I'll be casting you in my plays yet again soon enough!", Preston reassured me. He smirked and subtly winked at me. "You are my brightest star out on that stage, you know?"
I nodded with a smile. "What happens when you're back at camp?", I asked him.
Preston's right eye was still swollen and sported a new purplish color, courtesy of Max. "You break up with the rat bastard who did this to me, that's what!", Preston demanded.
I broke eye contact for a moment and itched my leg. "Is that really the best response?", I challenged. Preston lowered his eyebrows and shot me a cold, piercing stare. "Well...it's just that he's already mad..."
     Preston and I were abruptly interrupted by Gwen entering the room. "We eat in about a half an hour. Sound good?", Gwen asked as she plopped herself into my seat.
     I sat on the edge of Preston's bed. I nodded. "I don't know what I'm allowed to eat yet, but I'm definitely hungry!", Preston chirped. Gwen smiled at Preston.
     Though Gwen normally kept an angry and annoyed attitude, she was a bit different around Preston. I was convinced that Gwen had a bit of a soft spot.
     Harrison entered the room holding a to-go cup. "For you, m'lady.", Harrison proposed. He bowed to me and handed me the cup. "Two scoops of sugar, as requested." I don't think I told him I wanted that much sugar? Regardless, I smiled. Preston really does rub off on him pretty easily.
     "Thank you, my good sir!", I played along. Gwen stifled a chuckle from the opposite end of the room. I scooted back so that I was able to sit closer to Preston. Without having to ask, Preston raised the hospital bed so that I would be able to support my back. I leaned onto the bed and sipped on my coffee. Preston rested his head on my shoulder.
     There were still a lot of kinks to work out, but through it all, I knew that my friends at camp would always have my back. I wonder if Max is doing alright...
__________________________
A/N - A chapter a day keeps the bad vibes away! I hope I've impressed you guys with my upload schedule. I'll be honest, though. Marching band has started back up for me this year and it's really wearing me out, making it a bit difficult to write. I will still continue doing my best to keep on updating, though. Also, expect to see shorter chapters as a result of my lack of time to get writing. ☁️

Comment Question of the Chapter:

Do you have any song recommendations?