Chapter 3

"Rowan, which way do we go now?" Elide asked.

Rowan, Rowan. The name clattered through his head as he realized he'd once again forgotten his own name through the constant chanting of Aelin in his head.

"Both ways. Gavriel and Lorcan go to that village over there, Elide and I will look through the plains." Gavriel nodded, heading towards the village, Lorcan lingering for a few seconds staring at Elide, who didn't look at Lorcan once. 

They were now in Adarlan, after months of searching Southern Erilea, the group journeyed to Adarlan a week ago, continuing their quest to find the Queen of Terrasen. None of them had the guts to insist that Adarlan was too obvious of a hiding place for the Queen of the Fae, for Rowan was now searching every corner of this earth for his Fireheart.

Ten minutes into walking and sniffing for any scent of the Queen of the Fae or Terrasen, Elide pointed at a stone building that lay in ruins. "What is that?" She asked Rowan.

Rowan looked where she was pointing and didn't bother with an explanation as he sprinted towards the ruin. As he neared he scented something familiar...

"What is it?!" Elide yelled after him, trying her best to catch up to the three-hundred year old Fae warrior.

Rowan opened the rusty door and peered inside, sheathing his dagger. He listened for a few minutes before shaking his head at the Lady of Perranth. "I thought I scented Fenrys." He looked at the walls that lay in shambles for anything to lead him to his Queen. Nothing. For months he had been looking for clues to lead him to his mate, for he knew if anyone could fight Maeve long enough to drop hints, it'd be Fenrys. He'd just have to look in the right places. 

"It's okay," She went to rub his shoulder but stopped in midair. I did this to him. She often reminded herself. I am the reason his mate is in an iron coffin in God knows where. She kept telling herself that she is the last person to be comforting him in the search for his wife.

Rowan turned to exit the ruin when he saw an arrow etched on one of the rocks next to Elide's mangled foot. 

Elide angled her gaze to where Rowan was now staring. She backed away at the sight of the arrow. 

"The scent...this arrow," He muttered to himself, something he did a lot these past few months. Rowan hastily pulled out a map and a compass. 

Elide let out a strangled sob as Rowan whispered, "Morath."

Elide stumbled back a step, saying more to herself than to Rowan. "Erawan is there, but what could Maeve be doing in Morath?"

Rowan's rage trembled through him like a tremor. 

"The Valg."