Chapter 12

"I hope you didn't think I was just going to let you have her back, or did you?" Maeve pursed her lips.

Rowan couldn't hear anything, he couldn't feel anything-false-he felt rage. Complete, pure, utter rage. He had known Dorian got rid of the Valg in him, but the sight of his mate, bloodied, collared, had made him go completely insane.

"Aelin," Dorian pleaded. Gods, this brought back so many terrible memories for him. He knew Aelin was being tortured ten times worse than he was, judging by the amount of blood, old and fresh on her.

"She's not in there, right Zaiya?" Zaiya just smiled.

Rowan was now on his feet again. It was Aelin's smile, but at the same time, it wasn't.

Elide was quietly sobbing against a wall.

"You, you're the girl she sacrificed her life for? You must be worth something if the Queen of Terrasen is willing to give up her life for you," Maeve said. "Come here girl," She beckoned at Elide who didn't move an inch. Tsk. "Simon, go get her." A tall sentry moved from his place in the shadows and dragged Elide next to Maeve and Zaiya.

Rowan snarled and sheathed his sword, Dorian put a hand on his shoulder once again.

"Zaiya, kneel."

Rowan lunged for Aelin, only to be slammed by a wall of darkness, keeping him from his Queen.

The sound of her knees hitting the floor reverberated through the room. Rowan decided it was the ugliest sound he'd ever heard.

"What's your name?" Maeve demanded of Elide.

"Elide Lochan," She had decided she was done hiding, for all that Aelin had done, she would do so much more for her. Her eyes refused to look down at her Queen kneeling.

"Hm, Elide. I'll give you a choice," Maeve went and sat down on her throne, Simon marched over to Elide. "You can either take this whip that Simon will give you and give her ten lashings, or I'll force your Queen to take the blood oath to me."

For a split second, silence swept the room, until Aelin, Aelin screamed, "No!" Rowan met her eyes, they were now Aelin's blue eyes.

"Aelin, fight it!" Rowan yelled.

"Zaiya, shove her down," Maeve ordered. "Elide, have you made your choice?" She crossed her legs.

"Aelin please, please, please!" Elide sobbed.

"Whip me," Zaiya said, having shoved Aelin back down.

Rowan's eyes went ice cold, blood oath's are eternal, eternal. He reminded himself as Elide stretched her hand out for the whip.

He couldn't help the tears escape his eyes. "I'll do anything," Rowan had decided then and there, he would kill Maeve for hurting his mate, and for making him beg.

"Don't fight back or I'll make her kill herself, I do have complete control over her," Maeve smiled.

And Elide began.

"Stop," Dorian tried pushing past the shield. "Don't hide behind a shield, you coward."

"Me? A coward? Says the king who killed his own father."

Dorian gritted his teeth.

Aelin was now in iron shackles again, jerking against them as Elide whipped her.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," Elide repeated over...and over again.

By the time she was done, she collapsed to the floor sobbing. Blood splattered on the stone floor.