Chapter 28

It was when the chocolate hazelnut cake came, that Aelin knew she had to speak now or risk people leaving before dessert.

Her hands clasped Rowan's as he looked at her.

You're ready?

Nervous, but they're family.

Rowan smiled at that and kissed her forehead.

"Ew," Manon stated. Dorian smirked at her. Manon dismissed him.

Oh she'd hear about this later Dorian decided.

Aelin stood up.

"Shut up I'm gonna make a speech now."

The whole table stomaching their laughter, even Rowan.

The Queen cleared her throat and ran her fingers through her hair, "I spent my whole life trying to figure out my future. I was trained as an assassin by the King of Assassin's himself. I met a man named Sam Cortland along the way. Whose name is nothing but a whisper on this earth now," her breathing hitched at that. Lysandra looked at her, solemnly.

"I freed two-hundred slaves from the Pirate Lord, and was brutally punished for it. I went overseas and along the way to the Red Desert and met a healer named Yrene there," The healer was blinking away tears.

"I was then shipped off to Endovier. Spent a year there until Chaol led me to my next endeavor: Dorian Havilliard. Becoming his champion was to be my salvation. And along the way, the two helped me in ways that are unfathomable."

Dorian and Chaol smiled at her as she continued, "Wendlyn. I was sent to Wendlyn. Where I met the worst. But I also met the best thing to ever happen to me," Aelin teared up as she looked down at her mate. "You walked with me on the dark path, back to the light. And for that I love you to whatever end."

Rowan squeezed her hand.

"I then met the cadre. Who have made me laugh when I was about to scream."

Fenrys winked at her, she chuckled silently.

"I came back to Rifthold, befriended my enemy Lysandra and caught news that my cousin was being held captive."

Aedion looked down at his shoes.

"And when I saw his eyes for the first time in years, I knew I would never let him go again," her voice cracked.

She paused. And looked at the people, her family sitting at the table. And kept going.

"I befriended a witch, two of them. One whose mother saved me from death when my kingdom was ravaged. One who saved my kingdom a few months ago by saving the Wyrdkeys," Manon held her wine glass up at that.

"And then I was captured."

The dining hall went eerily quiet.

"And I reminded myself who you all were to me everyday because I didn't want to forget. It was all of you that were keeping me alive. And reminding myself this: My name is Aelin Galathynius and I will not be afraid." She loosened a breath and steadied her shaking.

"Fenrys," She said, looking at him, "I cannot ever return the favors. Convincing her to spare me for the night. Tending to my wounds. I cannot ever thank you for allowing me the opportunity to be here today."

Fenrys looked at her with glassy eyes, and nodded.

"Then I saved by the man who put me there in the first place," she said skipping over the Valg that was implanted in her. Deciding that was trauma she would not burden her friends with.

"Thank you," she whispered.

She paused-even longer this time-looking everyone over.

"I was then brought back to my kingdom by my mate."

She raised her voice a little as she declared.

"The point of this was to tell you this, my journey began with a blade and continues with my crown. Thanks to you all."

They all raised their glasses, smiling through their tears.

"Someone get the Queen some champagne!" Lysandra yelled.

"No! No, water will do," she smirked, wiping away her tears with the back of her wrist.

"Come on, let loose!" Dorian insisted. But Lysandra saw the meaning behind Aelin's smirk and gasped.

"No I better not," she laughed.

Rowan now stood up with her.

"It's time, Fireheart," he whispered in her ear, his hot breath against her neck making her shudder.

"Why not?" Aedion asked.

You say it, Aelin said to Rowan through their two connected souls.

She could've sworn she felt him smile back.

"Because Aelin and I are to have a child in eight months." He smiled down at her as he hugged her.

Amidst all the yelping and screaming and crying, of course.