Chapter 24

Aelin's POV

She was exhaling more than she was inhaling.

Her head felt so light that she wasn't sure she was anymore.

The surge of panic hit her so profoundly that simply existing pained her every breath.

She tried to cough, tried to let it out, but she just stumbled and hit a vase. She didn't even hear it shatter on the tile.

The medicine, she needed to get to the medicine. For she hadn't felt this helpless in her body since...since Maeve.

This was her sixth panic attack since she was back. The healer had developed something to calm her heart down. But getting to the medicine seemed impossible.

Rowan, or any of her friends were not at the castle for she sent them out to celebrate Dorian's birthday. She didn't attend due to the fact she had a meeting to attend.

But the meeting had her revisiting a place she often did in her nightmares. Maeve.

They had asked her about allying with the Fae in Doranelle, and she had just stared at the wall in front of her with eyes so empty.

She collapsed, not able to soften the fall, as her body felt like lead and bricks at the same time.

And now here she was in her room she shared with the Fae warrior who held her heart in his hands.

Succumbing to the darkness as it beckoned her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"Your Majesty, I have a request for you in the main hall?" the servant said with a slightly raised voice while knocking on the door.

No response.

"Your Majesty? The request comes from the King of Adarlan and King Rowan."

She knocked once more before entering.

Her shoulders slackened as the opened doors revealed her Queen lying on the floor.

She screamed, eyes widening as she looked up at her head.

With a growing pool of blood surrounding.