Chapter 7

"I sent my friends after yours, figured they should meet," Maeve drawled from the throne in front of where Aelin was kneeling.

Her eyes shot up at Maeve's, "What?"

"Cairn already searched you and since you don't have the keys, I thought I should ask your friends." It's only been a day since Cairn stripped her down, running a knife across every inch of her, demanding to know where the keys were. But Aelin, she only screamed until she was swept into oblivion. "And  Your General it seems isn't doing so well. The King of Adarlan still hasn't woken up, what a pity."

Aelin thought she knew pain when Cairn's knife was run across her open wounds, but this was something else. Her mind went so silent that it hurt.

"Please," Aelin said quietly.

"You're no use to me anymore."

"Then kill me," Aelin said through her clenched teeth.

"That would be too easy. Wouldn't it be?"

Aelin's breathing became shallow and unsteady. She knows where they are. She thought, recalling her conversation with Fenrys a while ago.

She tapped the arm of her throne, "Your mate is already on his way here, why not bury you two together," The smile that crept on the Queen of the Fae's face was nothing short of deadly.

"No," Aelin said steadily. Rowan, please don't come. She thought to herself as a tear escaped her eyes.

"What did the note say? '"I love you, don't look for me."' Well darling I think your blood oath isn't working."

Aelin knew the Queen would read her message to Rowan, so she wrote one small sentence on the paper. But she wrote the rest on the inside of the envelope.

She smirked from her throne, "Who was it that he was bringing with him? Oh yes, the Lady of Perranth, perhaps she'll watch as I carve you up, inside and out. Along with Prince Rowan of course. Oh my apologies, prince Rowan Whitethorn Galathynius, right?"

"No!" Aelin screamed at Maeve. "Stay away from him."

"I will destroy everything you love Aelin, all because you can't hand over the keys," Maeve stalked over to where Aelin was kneeling-and sobbing.

"Please," Aelin said, but Maeve was already gone.

Aelin couldn't collapse for there were chains keeping her on her knees. My name is Aelin Ashryver Whitethorn Galathynius and I will bow to no one and nothing. But here she was, on her knees, crying.

Her gaze fell on the scar that ran down her wrist, the one Rowan bound his life to hers with. My name is Aelin Ashryver Galathynius and I will not be afraid.

Author's note - I'm writing a Rowan chapter next and I am soooo excited for it.