Chapter 18

"No," Aedion said.

"Why not?" Lysandra said after him.

"She needs rest, not a party."

Lysandra and Elide were planning a party before Aelin's coronation next week, to honor her. Honor what she did for Terrasen. But Aedion...

"She loves parties, Aedion. If your problem is with me I won't attend," Lysandra quietly said.

The room suddenly shifted around her as Aedion brought his eyes up to Lysandra's. Her breathing became shallow as Aedion came closer.

"I would do anything for her, even learn to tolerate your presence. But she is not strong enough so I will not let you throw anything where she can't even enjoy herself."

"Aedion," Lysandra whispered.

"Don't," His eyes turned to the door where Aelin was, sitting in a wheelchair with Rowan behind it.

She gestured at Rowan to pull in the wheelchair. Aedion went to help but Aelin just held up a hand.

"I am not strong enough?" She asked him.

"You know I didn't mean it like that," He pleaded. Lysandra sat down on the stool across the room.

"I know what you meant," She stared him in the eye. "Let her throw the party."

The Wolf of the North just clenched his jaw as Rowan turned Aelin out of the room, but not before she said, "If you don't remember, Lysandra is my friend. But I asked her, not as my friend, but as a member of my court to fill in for me. Do not be so cold towards her, it is my fault. No one else's."

Rowan's eyes flickered at that last part.
It is my fault.

The two were out of the room before Aedion looked at Lysandra who was staring at her feet and fiddling with her hands.

They looked at each other, perhaps the same look that Aedion gave her that day in Skull's Bay when they talked about his father.

"She blames herself for what happened. But we all blame ourselves," She whispered as she stood up and walked out.