Chapter 7

Chapter 7 

-Visiting Hours 

Braylin postpones a business trip to Los Angeles for the next few days.  He meets with Mica over the weekend to work out a plan to keep Santino’s operating while Kara recovers.  

The next day he has an appointment at the police station to find out more about her attack.  He leaves the station with feelings of rage having learned her ex-fiancé was seen in a neighborhood bar later that night but was not picked up. 

A magazine with the picture of them kissing was found at the scene of the incident.  Liam’s fingerprints were all over it.  The police have Kara’s cell phone.  The camera app was hit capturing part of her attack.  After much wrangling and pulling of strings, Braylin is allowed to see it.  The anger he has turns to seething rage he can’t get the vision of what he is seeing out of his head.   He is told not to interfere in the investigation by the detective assigned to her case but as soon as he leaves the police station he contacts his own private detective. 

He’s on edge by the time he gets to the hospital.  He checks in with the bodyguard watching over her named Conner.  Conner informs him that a woman came by to see Kara earlier today but he didn’t allow her in to the room.  He didn’t know who she was and the woman didn’t want to say.  The woman went to the nurse’s station to ask about her condition and they wouldn’t release anything to her as he instructed.    Braylin orders him to run a check on the woman and get him the results immediately.  

Kara’s been here for four days, but he hasn’t been into her room since that first night he saw her with his family present.  He has come by each evening since but he gets no further than her hospital room door.  Each time he ask one of the nurses about her condition then leaves.  The doctors left her in a coma until her swelling went down.  He was told that yesterday was the first day she was awake. 

 This time he’s determined to go in to her room.  Darla told him when he stopped by the restaurant yesterday that Kara asked about him.  He waits at her room’s entrance like he’s done the other evenings, his hand is on her hospital room door.   Pushing it open slowly he finds a nurse is taking her vitals while she sleeps.  She smiles at him when he enters the room.  She finishes her medical task then leaves.   

He sets in the chair next to Kara’s bed.  He came prepared this evening to wait for her to wake up.  He has his IPad with him.  He works keeping a close eye on her sleeping form.  

An hour passes quickly, her dinner meal is brought in and left at the edge of her bed.  Braylin gets up from his chair to walk over to it.  Lifting the lid on her food tray he turns his nose up at the sight of her vegetable. 

“Hey, didn’t I tell you that broccoli was good for you.”  Says a weak voice from behind him. 

Braylin smiles as he puts the cover back over the food.  He turns around to see her watching him.  The bandage is still on her head and around her wrist.  Her black eye is no longer puffy and the bruise on her chin doesn’t look as bad as it did that first day.   Now that the swelling is gone down she looks more like herself. 

He walks back toward her sitting on the bed beside her.  Gently he slides his fingers through hers.  “You did and I believe you tricked me into eating some, but it’s not going to happen again.”   He says looking relieved she’s awake enjoying her teasing. 

“Tricked is such a negative word Mr. Hurst, I believe I outwitted you fairly.”  Kara squeezes his hand. 

“Hi.”  He visibly relaxes.