Chapter 43

Chapter 43 

-Losing Control 

It’s been four days since Kara talked Alexandra Kerr Hurst into going to the hospital to see Lester and it turned into a disaster.  He’s still in the coma and she is still nowhere to be found.  Maxim’s surgery did relieve some of the pressure on his brain and it was discovered that the wound near his forehead is from a bullet.  He still hasn’t recovered his memory.  James Monroe is livid and blaming the Hurst brothers.   He believes Lester may have had a gun in his car and they went outside the restaurant and got into an altercation.  He’s making up his own theories now about what happened and refuses to listen to any of the evidence.   

James has hired his own investigative team to find out what really happened.   He’s threatening to have charges filed against Lester, he doesn’t care that Lester was also hurt in the accident or that the evidence trickling out shows that Maxim’s car crossed the lane hitting Lester and Liam’s vehicles.  

Kara just got home from a long tiring day at work.  She messed up several food orders putting sugar instead of salt in one of her father’s famous sauces causing several lunch time meals to be returned with complaints that the sauce wasn’t like it usually is, it was too sweet. 

Braylin’s not home from work yet.  He and his brothers have been taking turns sitting with Lester during the day and working late into the evening.  Walking into the kitchen Kara finds that Anzio cooked dinner for them and left it in the warming oven.  Millie went to see her pregnant daughter a few days ago, her baby is due by weeks end. 

They’ve looked everywhere they know of for Alexandra.  The law firm she worked for told Conner and Det. Farrow she hasn’t been to work since the accident occurred.  Only one of the attorney’s knew that she was formerly married to Lester and he refused to tell anything about Alexandra.  He did say Alexandra came to his law firm to get away from what the Hurst and Monroe’s did to her and now they’ve scared her back into hiding. 

Kara climbs the stairs undresses and steps in the shower.  It seems to be the place she does all of her heavy thinking these days.  As the warm water caresses her skin she rubs the soap in wishing it was Braylin’s hands touching her.  She’s never had to satisfy the sensual urges she feels herself, but as she rubs her body and thinks of Braylin her hands start to wonder to places she would prefer to feel him. 

It’s understandable to her that his focus has been on his cousin but Kara needs him to.  Each time she thinks about the accident and all that’s involved she has a nagging feeling deep in the pit of her stomach that her mother is somehow involved.  She then feels guilty and tries to brush the thoughts from her mind feeling ashamed of herself. 

Amelia has been by James side every day at the hospital but there’s something about her that’s different.  She’s not the same domineering always in control woman Kara is used to seeing.  There are times when Kara has noticed a panicked look on her face.  Kara actually tried to have a civil discussion with her and James three days ago.  Amelia showed that she was jealous she started to insult Kara warning her to stay away from her husband.  The next day during her hospital visit Kara was already feeling on edge due to Braylin’s avoidance of her.  He got up for work that morning and left without saying anything to her.  

The discord between mother and daughter soon turned into a shouting match in the waiting room after Kara gave James a cup of coffee and a sandwich when she arrived for visiting hours.  Kara thought it such a small gesture on her part, Braylin wasn’t comfortable with her doing it but he stayed silent about it until the shouting match between her and her mother erupted over it.