Chapter 52

Chapter 52

-Finally A Family For Kara

Kara opens her eyes to the sound of a ringing phone and raindrops.  Hearing the clap of thunder she’s thankful to be inside in a warm bed with…..Stretching her arms out then turning over she finds she’s alone.  Braylin isn’t in bed with her and the phone ringing has stopped.  Sitting up she thinks about the dinner they had last night.  After they made love on the floor they showered together then he made steamed wild striped bass with ginger and scallions topped with frizzled jalapenos over rice.  She was surprised by how good it tasted and he told her Anzio taught him how to make it. 

They talked more last night than they ever have in all the months they’ve known each other.  It was cathartic for her.  She doesn’t have any misgivings this morning about purging all of her pent up hurt and anger about her mother to him.  Last night he listened, he comforted, he cried with her and then they laughed about the journey they’ve had together and how they started out.   

After dinner resulted in another round of passionate lovemaking that lead her to now wondering where he is and why does that phone keep ringing.  They ended up sleeping in the master bedroom downstairs.  Things got hot and intimate again on the leather sofa but it was too uncomfortable and Braylin said he didn’t come all the way up here to die by Conner’s hand because they made love on his precious leather sofa.   

Crawling naked out of the bed she tries to find something to put on.  His shirt is laying on the floor she grabs it putting it on.  Coming out of the bathroom she hears Braylin on the phone say “I’ll tell her.”  Kara’s stomach drops at the tone of his voice.   

What now, everything for her is perfect but perfect is a poor fighter it doesn’t strive as hard to achieve its goals like reality does.  Reality fights dirty.  It slaps you around and knocks you down daring you to get up and fight back.  She’s been married to reality all of her life, why get a divorce now.  With a heavy sigh she hangs her head walking into the living room of the cabin.  It’s time to kiss her love affair with perfect goodbye. 

Braylin is on his phone standing by the huge picture window watching the raindrops fall.  His voice is filled with authoritative command.  He’s barking out instructions, his profile shows a deep scowl on his face.  His call ends in frustration. 

Braylin turning around to face Kara with an intense and unblinking stare.  Something has happened, she reflects, please don’t let anyone be dead is all that she can think. 

He starts at her long legs working his way up to her terrified face that’s watching him.  Why can’t they have more moments like they had a few hours ago.  Every time they get to a good place it’s ruined by something to do with her mother. 

Walking toward her he pulls her into his arms hugging her.  Just one more moment of togetherness before he has to tell her and all the madness returns.  Kara grips his shirt, her eyes are squeezed shut as she leans her head against his chest.  His lips rest against her forehead.  She can tell it’s bad by the way he’s holding her so protectively.   

She’s no longer afraid to face whatever it will be about her mother.  Pulling away just enough to look up into his eyes she’s ready. 

“Whatever is it?  Don’t….try to protect me from anything okay.”  They are holding each other’s hands, she looks so brave she’s the strongest person he’s ever met. 

“It’s your mother they have her Kara, she’s been arrested.”  He softly says. 

Nodding her head in understanding she seems to be unperturbed by what he says it puzzles him.