Chapter 36

Chapter 36

-Love and Hate

Mrs. Sheffield waits impatiently in the agreed upon spot in the parking garage of the Warner Center for her son Liam to meet her.  He’s thirty minutes late.  She hasn’t seen him for more than a month now, he’s only called her once.   He said he has something he wants to give her for safe keeping and he has something he wants her to do.  They have lost so much business in their restaurant that they are barely operational.  She’s desperate for money. 

In her recent conversation with him he asked her to wait just a little longer.  He told her he would give her money to take care of all of their problems.  She is hoping that is what this meeting is about.  She doesn’t want to be seen with him in such a public place.  She can’t understand why he would ask her to meet him here.  Police and security is everywhere.  There’s a news service in the building.  He must be out of his mind. 

Liam approaches his mother from behind.  She jumps turning around she hardly recognizes her son. His hair is darker, he’s grown a mustache and beard but he’s still her handsome son. 

“What are you doing, you scared me half to death.  This is crazy Liam, why are we meeting here?  Could you have picked a more obvious place?”  She nervously tells him still looking around. 

“It’s alright.  Everything is alright.  Stop looking around, you’ll only draw suspicion to us.  Come on I’ve got some things I need to show you.  I’m going to take care of you and dad.”  He says as he walks her through the garage.  She’s looking around at the camera’s in the closed off area.  He walks her to a secluded area.  All of the parking spaces show reserved.  They stop walking in front of a black shiny new 2015 BMW M5.  There’s a big grin on his face as he walks to the passenger door opening it he takes out several envelopes and a box. 

“Whose car is this?  Why do you have a key to it?”  Mrs. Sheffield exclaims in a nervous high pitched voice. 

“Calm your voice down mother.  It’s mine and there’s more of this sort of thing.  I told you, I’m going to take care of you and dad.  Come on I’ll take you up to my new apartment.” 

Mrs. Sheffield looks at him stunned, she’s speechless, has he forgotten he’s a wanted fugitive.  He’s talking like he’s a businessman that’d done good and anxious to show his achievements to his mother who thought he would never amount to anything. 

They enter what he has told her is his rental apartment.  She can’t believe how confident he is as they ride up the elevator filled with other people.  He thinks his new look will keep him disguised from the police.  He is taking chances that he won’t be caught and she doesn’t understand why, the last time she saw him he was scared and begging her for money.  What brought on the change? 

“Have a seat mother, I’ll get you something to drink.”  Liam drops the envelopes and box on a huge coffee table in a magnificently furnished high-rise apartment.  The wrap around windows before her open up to the New York skyline.  The living area is hugely decorated with luscious matching chairs, a long neutral color sofa and the large square glass coffee table looks extremely expensive.  The opulence of it all astounds her.  This can’t be his, this place is worth millions of dollars.  The new car she saw downstairs isn’t something he can afford.  Mrs. Sheffield follows him into the elegant spacious kitchen. 

“Liam what the hell is going on?  How did you get all of this?  Have you broken into someone else’s place?”  She nervously runs her hand along the gorgeous marbled counter in the kitchen.  She has posted apartments like this on her favorites page in Pinterest.