Chapter 48

Chapter 48

-The Awakening

              Note: This Chapter is about Amelia and James for those that want to skip anymore about her. 

It’s late and as usual James Monroe is home alone his wife’s whereabouts are unknown.  He sits in his study with an amber liquid and a few cubes of ice in a glass to his left and yet another large envelope filled with damning evidence of Amelia’s antics on his desk to his right.  Laying his head on his mahogany surface to rest he thinks about the meeting he had earlier tonight. 

She stopped him as he was leaving his building and asked him to go somewhere and have a drink with her.  He thought her quite beautiful and he was flattered that such an enchanting creature was hitting on him until he came to his senses.  He felt like an old fool. 

Raising his head from his desk his eyes linger on the amber liquid in the glass to the left of him.  He wants to take a drink of it bad.  When did he start drinking so much?  He can probably pin it down to gradually over the last thirteen years.  Thirteen years he has been married to the most hated and destructive woman he has had the misfortune to get in bed with and to keep. 

He kept all of her secrets, he’s kept her in a lifestyle she would never otherwise have if he weren’t so generous to her giving her an allowance that helped her terrorize and destroy people’s lives.  He is a fool and it’s the role he has been comfortable with for so many years because she gave to him the attention his first wife neglected to.  She understood he wanted to build an empire.  She told him the things he wanted to hear and helped him achieve the contracts he needed to get what he wanted.   

What he wanted was to be king of New York at any cost.  He wanted people to fear him, to look up to him.  He wanted his name on all of the new real estate in the city.  It would be his legacy, something he could pass on to his children and their children. 

Seeing Alexandra Hurst-Kerr for the first time in over two years and the strength she exuded after all that she has endured made him feel like his quest to be a king did just the opposite he felt low like less than a man.  

Her anger at him was justified, she blamed him for giving his wife the platform to spew her venom.  This woman spoke to him harshly, she didn’t care about his position and the fact that he said he could destroy her.  She told him things he didn’t want to hear she said he was an accomplice, culpable in Amelia’s duplicity, she told him he was a coward.  He looked the other way whenever his wife hurt someone.  She told him to go ahead and try to destroy her because there was nothing left to destroy.  His wife had already done it.  Taken away from her everything she loved then she gave him an envelope filled with a cell phone conversation he has now listened to several times and those dreaded pictures sitting to his right.  

Pictures of Amelia and Liam Sheffield going into their penthouse, to a bank and a car dealership.  The last picture he looks at is of Amelia and Liam Sheffield at a bar.  He knows what night it had to have been taken.  Amelia doesn’t wear the same outfit that often and certainly not in the same week.   

Shoving the envelope onto the floor he watches the cell phone and the pictures fall out he can’t stand to look at them.  He can’t face the thought that somehow he is responsible for his son upstairs in his room struggling to get back what he’s lost. 

Amelia’s thirst for destruction has finally hit home, his home and he could have stopped it long ago but he keeps choosing to hide inside a bottle of liquor instead.