Chapter 37

Chapter 37 

-Clarity

Lester’s greeting surprises Alexandra.  Did he already know she was going to walk through that door? 

She prepared herself for the wrath of hatred he would unleash on her, she knows she deserves it but she just wants to see him.  So many times she’s picked up her phone to call him to apologize.  She convinces herself he will listens to her, forgives her, tells her that he still loves her and wants her to come home to him until she wakes up from her dream or is it still a nightmare she continues to walk through.   

That’s what she’s been living for the last three years.  How she allowed herself to get caught up with the Monroe’s especially Maxim Monroe’s web of lies still astounds her own intelligence to this day. 

She couldn’t get a read of Lester’s emotions when she walked in.  She is holding her hand out waiting for him to shake it.  He hesitates for a bit before giving in.  Introducing herself to him using her maiden name she hopes he will see it as a fresh start for both of them.  She wants to leave the past between them in the past soon enough it will rear its ugly head. 

He acquires a smirk that turns into a slight smile for a split second as he grasped her smaller hand enclosing it in his.   The small contact between them causes an uncontrollable urge in Lester to hold onto her hand longer he seems unable to keep up the resistance he is trying to maintain not to respond to her in any way.  She introduces herself to him as Alexandra Kerr letting him know she is using her maiden name.  He is currently unaware of her marital status he requested that she not use his last name after their divorce.  He wanted to erase all traces of her but can’t erase her from his heart and dreams.  

The introductions are out of the way Lester takes a step back trying to distance himself from her close proximity.  He has already been her fool once, he is determined to never be it again.  It took him a long time to come to terms with the fact that he was in love with her when he finally gave in to it, she slept with another man destroying him and his friendship with that other man.  

Sitting across from each other at a conference table they discuss Lester’s family’s need for an attorney outside their corporation.  Alexandra doesn’t call in anyone to assist her or take notes, she knows the Monroe’s and how they operate.  Discussing the reason with her causes Lester some concern.  He asked her directly if there will be a conflict of interest.

His question angers her causing her to blush.  She didn’t want to discuss her relationship with Maxim Monroe or the breakup of it but the problem his family is having with the Monroe’s will pull her  back into a situation she fought to get out of.  She has tried to avoid them.  She doesn’t think they know she has returned to New York. She won’t have anyone to protect her from them.   

She tells Lester she isn’t with Maxim Monroe.  What he doesn’t know is she only slept with Maxim one time.  She didn’t know it would turn her world into the nightmare that it is now.  Keeping her head bowed she takes notes on a computerized tablet refusing to look into Lester’s eyes fearing that she will try to explain herself to him which will only embarrass her and give him another reason to despise her.   

Her curt response of her breakup with Maxim doesn’t surprise him.  He knows Maxim and his tactics for bedding women well.  They use to hang out and pick up women together a long time ago.   

Lester relaxes a little after hearing the news they are no longer together.  The smell of her perfume tickles his nose.  The way her nose crinkles when he makes a comment she doesn’t like.  He knows he’s goading her but he can’t help it.  The pleasure and pain of seeing her, being around her is confounding him.  Her hand is so close resting on the table between them.  He wants to reach out to grasp it, to pull her on top of the conference table and ravish her.  If she only knew how she is making him feel right now she would probably laugh at the fool he still is for her.