Chapter 33

Chapter 33

-Learning How to Love

Kara holds her head in her hands, her elbows are leaning on the table.  She can’t cry, she’s all cried out.  She feels emptiness, anger and frustration, but none of it is at Braylin.  It’s where it belongs with her mother.  She is a predator and possibly a rapist.  Kara is terrified, how can her mother be this way, what possesses her.  Did her father know?   

She doesn’t know what to do, she doesn’t know how to handle something like this.  Braylin…..what about Braylin, what can she say to him?  She cares about him.  What does this do to them, can they survive it?  If they do she knows she has to take care of him right now the way he took care of her when she needed it.  

Kara looks again at every single picture spread out on the table.  She reads the contracts, going through all of the papers in the envelope.  She grabs her phone to call Casey to ask him some questions.  He’s with Zain.  He tells her Zain is terrified that Amelia is going to find out that he gave Conner those envelopes when she learns they are missing.  Kara ask him to put Zain on the phone.  She talks to him for a while asking him several questions.   

Kara ask Zain if he knows a Logan Spector.  He tells her he doesn’t.  She ask if he knows if the man in the pictures is aware of the pictures.  He doesn’t think so.  He tells her that he found out Amelia has files on a lot of the men she has threatened or coherenced into doing things for her.  It’s how she has gained her power.  She has a file cabinet full of envelopes filled with pictures of men in similar poses.  He just grabbed one to show Casey what she was like.  He told her that Casey knew the man and asked him to tell Conner about it.  Zain told her Amelia kept an elaborate filing system.  He didn’t believe her husband knew about it or what she was doing. The envelopes were cataloged by name, month and year.  He discovered them while Amelia was away in the Hamptons. 

Kara ask to speak to Casey again she ask him about Zain’s trustworthiness.  She wants to know if Zain would be willing to go into Amelia’s file cabinet again to get another envelope for her.  Casey agrees to talk to him.  He will call her back in a couple of days. 

After her conversation Kara goes to the bedroom door.  She knocks softly, she’s allowed Braylin some time to pull himself together.  He seems to be in so much pain behind this.  She thinks his getting sick stopped her mother from raping him but he can’t see it, he is so humiliated by the things that she had already done to him.  Kara knows her mother.  If she had been able to do the things she wanted to him what would have happened.  Why hasn’t he pressed charges against her? 

Kara knocks again, there’s no sound.  She turns the knob it was never locked.  Opening the door she sticks her head inside. 

He’s sitting on the sofa in front of the bed putting on a pair of brogue shoes.  He’s dressed except for his jacket, his tie is loose around his neck. 

She walks to the sofa sitting down next to him.  He doesn’t look at her he’s lacing up his shoes. 

“Can I ask you a few questions about what happened to you and then we won’t talk about it again?”  She places her hand on his shoulder.  He’s done tying his shoes. 

Leaning back he watches her with sad eyes.  “Yeah, I guess so.  Ask whatever you want to ask.”  He reluctantly tells her. 

“Okay!”  She stands up moves in between his legs sitting down in his lap.  Gathering his tie she starts to tie it for him.  He’s so struck by what she’s doing he grabs her smothering her in a bear hug.