Chapter 14

Thanks for the Encouragement 

Chapter 14

-Building Blocks

“Braylin, we’re here.”  Darla calls to him half way down the hall just as he gets to the nurses station.   

“I’m sorry if we pulled you away from something important, she doesn’t know we called you.”  She informs him. 

“It’s alright, has she seen the doctor?”  He wants to know. 

“Yeah, she’s upset.  Dr. Kramer, won’t release her yet.  Mica’s in there with her.  They’re waiting for you.     Braylin, she had a flashback of the attack.”  Darla tells him. 

Braylin is feeling his own anxiety and anger.  He can’t believe she took a cab instead of his driver.  He’s going to have to keep a better watch over her.    He’s beginning to wonder if he should have waited longer to ask her to do this but it doesn’t matter now.  One of the doors behind them opens and Mica walks out. 

“Hey, I’m glad you’re here.”  Mica shakes Braylin’s hand.   

He swallows to clear his voice.  “How is she?” 

“She’s embarrassed, stubborn, you know she’s Kara.”  He affectionately smirks thinking about his friend as Darla and Braylin nod along in understanding. 

“Is the doctor in with her?”  Braylin questions. 

“No, I pulled him to the side and asked him if he could wait until you got here?  She’ll be mad at me when she finds out.  She didn’t want him to disturb you she thinks she can handle this by herself as usual.”  Mica explains. 

“Thank you.”  He says to both of them.  “Are you two staying?”   

“No, we need to get back to the restaurant.  Keep us updated will you?”  Mica requests.   “Of course.”  He hugs them both before they leave. 

He knocks on the door before entering.  She’s sitting on an exam table staring out the window.  “Can I come in?”  He says walking cautiously into the room.  Her shoulders are hunched there are tears in her eyes when she turns to look at him.  She sniffles wiping her hand across her face not wanting him to see her this way.   

“Don’t say I told you so, just don’t say it.”  She looks away from him back out the window.   

He walks over to stand near the exam table, gently he turns her head around to look at him.  “Are you alright?” 

She’s composed but shakes her head no.  His instinct is to hold her but he doesn’t know how she will react.  There’s a knock at the door Dr. Kramer enters walking to Braylin to shake his hand.  He informs him that he’s set it up for Kara to see one of his colleagues for further observation.   He’s adamant that she can’t go back into the restaurant at this time.  It upsets Kara.  Braylin places his arm around her shoulders comforting her.  The doctor gives Braylin a couple of prescriptions and tells him possible distress symptoms to look for.   

After getting back to his house she doesn’t object this time when he carries her up the stairs to her room, she’s exhausted laying her head against his chest.  He pulls the covers back to lay her on the bed.  He gives her one of the anxiety pills and some water.  She mumbles “thank you” just before falling to sleep.  Braylin brushes the hair out of her face then kisses her on the cheek before leaving the room going back downstairs.