➻Eight

All the young men exchanged glances, and I myself feel heat rising to my cheeks as I tried to discreetly shift away from Jin's hand. He drew back his hand himself, cheeks turning slightly pink.

"K-Kiri," finally Jimin spoke up, stammering. "What are you doing here?"

I recalled the young men greeting a woman named 'Kiri' from outside the dressing room last night. This must be her.

She was pretty. Her hair was a pink color that was very dark near her hair roots and gradually became lighter as it travelled down to her hair ends. Her eyes were big, lined with dark mascara and eyeliner. Her small, pout-like lips were parted slightly in shock.

"Namjoon forgot his jacket," she held up a piece of dark brown clothing attire. "I was coming to return it." Kiri shifted her gaze at me. "Who is she? What is she doing here?"

"Thanks for the jacket," Namjoon said, scrambling to try and get the situation under control. "Kiri, listen, this girl, ah, lost her way during our opening concert."

"Why didn't you call one of the staff members?" Kiri demanded. "Do you guys know how damaging it will be to your public image if paparazzi or fans in general get a whiff of this situation?"

I stepped forward a little. "I'm deeply sorry, Miss... Kiri. I never meant for this happen, and to tell the honest truth, I am from Amer-"

"She's my mother's sister's adopted granddaughter," Jin suddenly piped up.

"Huh?" Kiri stared at Jin. "Your mother's sister's what now?"

I myself turned in shock at Jin. I did not know him very well, and now he was defending me? Jin's face was unreadable, and his perfectly symmetrical and striking face was like glass: smooth and impenetrable. Something in me fluttered ever so slightly.

"I don't believe you," Kiri finally said, raising her chin defiantly when Jin didn't reply fast enough.

"How else would she be able to talk fluently in Korean?" Jin gestured. "They adopted her from Chicago when she was a baby and then moved back here."

Kiri continued to gaze at me with suspicion. I ought to have stepped in and told her the truth rather than having Jin lie for me.

"What? Even if he was lying how are you going to disprove it?" Yoongi abruptly joined the defense for me and leaned forward challengingly. "Will you actually call hyung's Aunt and ask her if she really does have a granddaughter from America?"

Why was Yoongi, the cold man who'd been urging for me to leave the group just a few moments ago, coming to my defense as well now? I saw a few members exchanging equally confused looks with each other.

I saw Kiri swallow. "Then why is she here with you all and not with her mother?"

"A mix up of timing and flights," Namjoon was now entering the conversation. "Jin wanted to see her before the world tour, but you know, his aunt is getting a tad bit old-"

"Careful, bro," Jin shot a glare at Namjoon. "This is my aunt we're talking about." Yup, these two definitely hadn't made up yet.

Namjoon cleared his throat. "She was really confused and unsure of what to do, so Jin hyung decided for her to stay with us a bit while trying to get in contact with his aunt."

Kiri exhaled. "Which leads me to my former question: why aren't you telling the staff right now?"

I had learned that the word 'staff' they were referring to was not, in fact, a stick. Rather, a group of people who helped take care of the young men.