➻ Thirty-four

Jungkook's eyes were huge pools of fear as he gazed desperately at Jin and Namjoon.

"I apologize for such a horrid entrance," Evan said in his normal, pleasant voice as if he had merely knocked on our hotel door bringing cookies. "It's definitely not my best. But with the little I know of you young men, I knew if I didn't... spice things up, I'd never get the girl."

"Let him go," Namjoon's voice cracked a little as his eyes never left Jungkook's.

Evan chuckled. "All in good time. You want your precious friend? Isn't he the youngest of you all?" Evan poked Jungkook's cheek with a finger.

Jungkook flinched.

"If what I learned is correct, did you guys not meet him when he was only thirteen?" Evan continued with a hint of a nasty smirk. "You've practically raised him haven't you?"

"Let him go," Namjoon's voice was becoming hard with desperation. "He's done nothing wrong!"

A dark feeling was beginning to coil in my chest like a snake. It slithered beneath my ribs and in my chest, sending its poison of hate through my veins until I was beginning to tremble.

This man... Evan... was a monster.

"I'll give you back your precious baby boy in exchange of Abigail Carver," Evan tilted his head as he gazed at me. "Trust me, I'm in no mood for you to act like you're 'Natalie.' I know you're Abigail, Miss Carver."

Jin turned towards me, his own eyes now wide. But it was obvious the torn look in his eyes.

"What's it going to be?" Evan placed his hands on his hips. "The boy or the girl? Trust me, Abigail will do better to come with me. I'll take good care of her, just like she's my wife."

I met Evan's eyes and the dark snake within me hissed in repulsion.

"Come on," impatience finally began to twist Evan's usual easygoing face into something ugly as no one moved for a few seconds. "I don't have all day. If you choose the girl, fine. We'll take the boy."

Still no answer as Namjoon and Jin were obviously having an internal battle.

Yet I knew. I knew deep within me, in the end of it all, who they would choose.

It wouldn't be me.

I pursed my lips and summoning all my willpower, I firmly removed Jin's hands away from mine and stood up.

Jin didn't make a move to stop me and only squeezed his eyes shut.

"Let Jungkook go, Evan," I said calmly, with all the dignity I could. My body felt like a bunch of bricks weighed down, but I approached Evan one step at a time all the same.

"With pleasure," Evan snickered a little and made a small flicking motion with his wrist.

The gun pressed against Jungkook's forehead was removed and the man holding Jungkook shoved him forward. Jungkook instantly scrambled to the other side of the room where Namjoon was.

Was that a single tear trickling down his cheek or was it my imagination?

The man in the suit nearest to me grabbed me, not viciously, but none too gently either.

"Abby." Jin's voice cracked a tiny bit.

"Let's go, my dear," Evan smiled and then I was lead out.

I didn't look back.

I was shoved in a van with the eight men and Evan. My back was snapped straight and hands clenched on my pants tightly as the door shut and we began to drive away from the hotel.

"My goodness, Miss Abigail, you are quite upset aren't you?" Evan said next to me, stretching languidly like a cat after a nap. "Shouldn't your dear mother have taught you better morals than to be among so many young men? A young woman like you-"

"Shut up," I snapped. "You're so loud."

Shock shone on Evan's face for a split second before he burst out laughing. "Oh my, Abigail. You truly seem to have lost your ladylike manners haven't you? Well, I hope you can clean up your manners and language before we see your mother again."

I stiffened. "My mother?" I asked hesitantly.

"Why yes, your beloved mother. We still have the proposal dinner we must attend at your house," Evan chuckled a little. "When we go back, we'll be back exactly where we left off: me knocking upon your door and your mother calling you to come."

"What are you talking about?" I refused to look at Evan, but my voice was now trembling and breathless.

"Ah. I truly haven't explained myself have I?" Evan exhaled and wrapped an arm around me.

In a flash, the snake in me struck. I jerked my elbow into Evan's side, causing him to cry out in pain. The next few seconds passed with a flurry of yelling and strong arms yanking me back from my blows towards Evan.

I was quickly pinned to my seat by one of the eight men Evan had. Evan himself had a bright red mark right above his eyebrow where I'd hit him now. A savage satisfaction entered me at the sight.

To hell with my mother's manners and rules.

I was so done with getting touched by men.

Especially by such wolf beasts wrapped in sheep clothing like him.

Evan was breathing heavily as he clutched his side where my elbow had buried themselves in happily. "This era has born a fire in you, Abigail Carver. But trust me, when we get back to 1860, we will tame it until it's nothing but cold ash," Evan promised coldly.

I grinned like a crazy woman before turning back to gazing out the window where we were passing by buildings and cars, trying to ignore the pain as the man restraining me crushed my thin arms. I was starting to sense the part of me that would have attempted to murder this man.

Cars passed by, pedestrians minding their own business passed by, houses passed by. Everything and everyone passed by, oblivious to my distress and anger in the van as it cruised through the city.

We finally stopped behind a large building. Memories of behind the hotel flashed across my mind as the van parked next to a line of large dumpsters stuffed full with black trash bags.

"Get her to the room," Evan commanded with an iron tone as he scrambled out himself, still clutching his side. "I'm going to find some ice."

"Such a child," I sneered nastily at Evan.

Evan whirled around. "Whether you like it or not, Miss Abigail, we will soon be wed when we head back. And trust me, the more you fight back now, the worse it shall be when we go back," he hissed.

Asthe men hauled me out of the van, a powerful wave of dizziness hitme and the world spun. This dizzy spell was much worse than any I'd had before. I staggered like a drunkard, but the man holding meyanked back mercilessly and continued to force me towards a rusted metal doorin the back of the building.