| 8 |

"You've been in here for a while."

Bucky looked up to see Natasha standing by the door. He was sitting at a table in one of the many conference rooms in the Avengers Tower. A tablet was in front of him. He had been going through the Project Recluse file for the last two and a half hours.

Bucky only nodded his head lightly, returning his gaze to the tablet.

"I told them."

He was silent. Natasha tapped her fingers against her thigh.

"You're upset—,"

"Have you read through any of her file?" Bucky cut Natasha off, his voice firm and almost demanding. He didn't want to talk about his feelings. "I knew she'd been through hell but I had no idea...."

Natasha took slow steps towards the man. She was careful to read his body language. His shoulders were tense, his jaw locked, and his darkened eyes focused intently on the screen of the tablet.

"I haven't had a chance. I showed her to her room and talked to Wanda for a while."

"You haven't said her name since she's been here." Bucky looked up to the Black Widow.

"Scarlett isn't her name."

"She won't think so."

"What did you find in the file?" Natasha changed the subject.

"Just her history. Most of it is medical, but there's a very thorough analysis of her DNA. They studied her like an experiment."

Natasha pulled out the chair next to Bucky and sat down.

"What are the pictures of?" Natasha asked. Bucky was hesitant to answer her. His eyes flickered down to his left hand. She glanced over to him but pressed the button for photos anyways.

There were x-rays and images of Scarlett bruised up, evidence of the experiments, testing, and training she had endured.

"I did all of that."

"Don't blame—,"

"Look me in the eyes and tell me you don't blame me for anything I did to you!" Bucky shouted, his left fist slamming down on the table. The wood splintered under his fist. "I-I nearly killed her every day we trained. I treated her like a grown man, but she was just a child."

"It wasn't your fault because if you were to have the choice, you wouldn't have done anything to hurt her or me." Natasha spoke calmly to him. His eyes flickered between both of hers before he stood up.

"I need some space."

Natasha watched as he left, then rubbed her face with one hand. She moved over into the seat he had been in and started to read the file from the top when the door opened. It was Clint.

"Haven't seen you in a while. Just wanted to check in."

The Widow nodded her head and tucked her feet under herself. She brushed a few pieces of dark red hair back out of her eyes and looked to the screen in front of her.

"I held her for hours and hours when she was a baby." The words were gentle whispers as she spoke. A sad smile came to her lips as she recalled the memories she had of her only child. "I-I sang to her. She always smiled the brightest when I sang to her. My little Rose."

"I couldn't image going through what you went through, Nat, but I'm here for you."

———

"I don't like answering questions." Scarlett said, her eyes flickering over to Natasha.

"We just want to do a little exercise to help us find out a few things about you." The Widow spoke.