[ 30 ]

Scarlett stood in her room with her arms crossed and her eyes out the window. She had been standing motionless for nearly an hour. While dark blue eyes gazed at the sea, her mind was deep in throught. She held her phone in her hand. Her eyes dropped down to look at the text conversation displayed across the screen.

To: A.P.
<"I think it would be wise for the biannual roundtable meeting to be canceled but an emergency meeting should be called. There's a lot to discuss and I feel that everyone should hear it before I decide on how to stop Vince and his rogue allies.">

From: A.P.
<"You want to be the one to call that emergency meeting? The last time we had one was when Peggy Carter died.">

To: A.P.
<"I am willing to make that call.">

From: A.P.
<"I'll reach out to the Gideon Malick and General Hale. They'll be able to get ahold of the others. I'll set it up for a week from now. This means you need to be there and be presentable and prepared.">

To: A.P.
<"I will be there, sir.">

With a soft sigh, Scarlett tucked her phone into her pocket.

As Natasha was passing Scarlett's room, she saw that the door was open. This was odd for Scarlett. The door was usually kept shut. Natasha stepped into the doorway and knocked quietly.

"You okay in here, Scarlett?"

The young woman turned to face Natasha. She was silent for a while before finally speaking.

"I think I need to leave for a couple weeks."

"Why?" Natasha furrowed her brows together.

"I need to go back to HYDRA. They're expecting me to debrief them on my time spent with you."

Natasha paused for a moment, trying to figure out Scarlett's angle.

"I won't be telling them anything useful or honest. I'll make something up." Scarlett moved to sit on the edge of her bed. "But I want to keep my position within them to bring them down."

"I just want to make sure you aren't going to be doing anything too dangerous."

"I'm Scarlett Rose, daughter of the Black Widow and Winter Soldier. I doubt there's anything more dangerous than me."

"Your arrogance." Natasha said quietly. "That is dangerous."

"I'm not arrogant. I know what I'm capable of."

"So you want to go undercover in HYDRA as an Avenger? As one of us?"

Scarlett nodded her head. Natasha wasn't sure what to think. She wanted to believe her daughter was better and wanted to be better, but she also knew very well that Scarlett was a good liar.

"When do you leave?"

"As soon as possible. I need to be in Cleveland tonight."

———

Scarlett was busy going through her clothes, trying to decide what she wanted to take and what she wanted to leave. A sudden gust of wind blew her hair into her face.

"Why is everyone telling me you're leaving again?" Pietro asked.

"Because I have a job to do." She answered without facing him.

"You didn't think to talk to me about it?"

"I didn't think it was any of your concern." She folded a pair of jeans and put them into her duffle bag.