[ 26 ]

Scarlett slipped out of her room. It was early in the morning. The Avengers were having breakfast in the kitchen so Scarlett figured now would be a good time to talk to them. She straightened her shirt and let out a soft sigh.

"I have to tell you guys something." She announced as she entered the kitchen. Silence fell around the room and all eyes turned to her. "I didn't come back willingly. I was sent here by Alexander Pierce."

Steve glanced around the table very briefly before looking back at Scarlett.

"What are you trying to say, Scarlett?"

"Pierce sent me here to serve as a spy." She could sense a shift in the air from one of content and happiness to tense and hostile. "He wanted me to use you two to get information." Scarlett's eyes flickered to Bucky and Natasha.

"That's great." Tony let out a heavy sigh and rubbed his eyes.

"But I don't want to do that anymore." She shook her head. "I-I've decided I want to leave HYDRA, for good. I'm not really one to get sentimental, but spending time out on the boat with you guys yesterday...." She trailed off.

"You're being serious?" Bucky asked her. She nodded her head.

"What have you told him so far?" Sam crossed his arms over his chest.

"I haven't told him anything. I've been having a lot of self-conflicting thoughts but after thinking about it through the night, I've decided I want to leave HYDRA. I don't want to be a part of that anymore. I'm tired of hurting people."

Silence fell around the room. Each Avenger looked around at each other before they silently agreed on looking at Steve.

"I'm glad you came to us and told us, Scarlett. It's good to hear you're trying to get better."

Everyone went back to eating, but the conversations stopped. Everyone was silent.

"Is that it?" She furrowed her brows together. "You aren't mad at me?"

"You told us the truth, Lady Scarlett." Thor gave her a little encouraging smile. "Getting mad at you would be pointless. You did nothing wrong."

"No one's mad at you, Scarlett." Natasha shook her head.

Scarlett shifted her weight from one foot to the other before leaving the mansion to go down to the beach.

"I'll go talk to her." The Widow stood from her seat at the table and followed her daughter.

———

The readhead stood back towards the pathway that led back to the mansion. Her arms were crossed as she looked out over the ocean. The wind whipped her red locks into her face. Scarlett stood closer to the water with her hands by her sides.

"I'm really proud of you, Scarlett." Natasha finally spoke. "You did a good thing today, coming to us and telling us."

Scarlett softly nodded her head. She could feel someone watching her. She turned her head towards Natasha but her eyes flickered up to the top of the pathway. Pietro stood at the top of the cliff, his eyes focused on her and his hands stuffed into his pockets. Natasha followed her gaze and smiled softly.

"I think he likes you."

"He's an idiot." Scarlett rolled her eyes. She tore her gaze away from the young Avenger when he disappeared.

"I heard from a little bird that you've got a boyfriend." Natasha raised an eyebrow at Scarlett, who only nodded her head softly. "What's his name?"