| 42 |

"Why is her arm doing that?" Pietro asked. Her left bicep seemed to be twitching just beneath her skin.

"She's having muscle spasms, Pietro. It's uncontrollable." Bruce answered as he drew another unit of blood from Scarlett's arm.

"What's causing it?"

"I don't know, but I'm hoping these blood tests will tell me."

"She's sweating a lot, Banner."

"She's got chills, which is common when you have a fever as high as hers."

"She's breathing funny—,"

"Pietro." Bruce stopped moving and turned to face the much taller Avenger. "I know you're worried about her but I need you to either leave or be quiet. I can't concentrate with you asking me questions."

"He can't leave." Natasha shook her head. She was across the room with Steve, Peter, and Tony, keeping their space. "If Scarlett wakes up, he'll be the first person she wants to see. She'll be more compliant with him around."

"Then be quiet." Bruce nodded his head before going back to what he was doing.

Pietro brushed his fingers through Scarlett's messy dark hair, silently praying she'd be okay.

Countless minutes went by before her eyes started to flutter open slowly. Pietro smiled softly, his hand reaching down to find hers.

"Hi, princessa."

She groaned softly.

"Is she waking up?" Bruce questioned.

"Yeah. How are you feeling, princessa?" Pietro brushed his thumb over her knuckles.

"I.... thought I got over.... over that shit weeks ago." She whispered, her voice raspy and her throat sore.

"What shit?" Bruce moved to stand next to Pietro.

"The nerve.... toxin. I was-was exposed to.... to it in Detroit." Scarlett tried to bring her hand up to cover her mouth but her arm was too heavy so instead she turned her head to the side to cough.

"A nerve toxin?" Bruce's eyes widened. "Jesus.... Scarlett, you could've died."

"But I didn't.... so here I am."

"Yeah. Here you are. Dying in my lab." He muttered, then turned away from the table to look around the lab.

"Nerve toxin?" Tony repeated.

"Yeah." Bruce threw his hands into the air. "Just our luck, huh?"

"We have stuff here to combat that." Tony hastily crossed the room to go to the glass cabinet where the medicines were kept. "Atropine and pralidoxime chloride."

"Why didn't you tell any of us you were infected with a nerve toxin?" Pietro asked her. Her eyes closed and he feared she had fallen asleep–or worse.

"Because I thought-I thought I had gotten over it. I'm not used to being sick."

Pietro watched Bruce and Tony hastily search the cabinet. Bruce found the first one they needed and a few minutes later, Tony found the other.

"Princessa, I think we're going to have to have a talk about you 'being sick.'"

"I'm trained-trained to handle them." She turned her head to face him. "I would open my eyes but it's making me dizzy and I don't want to throw up."

"That's okay, princessa. I'm right here." He leaned down to kiss her cheek.

"No! No! No!" Bruce whispered loudly. "I am not doing that!"