[ 36 ]

"She's been in the garage since three this morning, boss." Friday spoke. Tony was in the elevator leaning against one of the corners with a cup of coffee in hand. After a restless night of sleep, he decided to get up early and tinker with something in the garage beneath the Tower.

"What's she been doing down there?" He asked the AI system. He glanced to the time on the Rolex on his wrist. It was just past 6:30a.m.

"Tearing apart a car."

"Who's car?" He was only slightly concerned. He could replace any cars he had that she was messing with. He was more worried about why she was messing with his cars.

"I'm not sure, boss."

The doors opened and he left the elevator. All seven of his cars seemed to be in perfect condition. None of them had been messed with, but there was an eighth car sitting in the garage. It was a ruby red Bentley Continental GT. Its hood was off and sitting on the floor a few feet away. The steering wheel and two front seats were also missing from inside the vehicle.

Sticking out from underneath the front end of the expensive car were two white sneakers. Tony leaned against his Audi parked next to it and took a sip of his coffee.

"Whatcha up to, kid?"

"Working." She answered flatly.

"No shit." He rolled his eyes at her. "Where did you find this?"

"Someone gave it to me."

"Right, right. 'Cause people just give away $200,000 cars." He nodded his head. Scarlett slid out from underneath the car on a creeper and sat up to lean against the front bumper.

"The woman who was the closest thing to a mother I had growing up gave it to me."

"When?"

"Last night when I went to talk to her." Scarlett stood to her feet and brushed her hands off on the pant legs of her jeans.

"Was she a cool mom?" Tony figured that since she was willing to talk now that he'd do his best to get as much out of her as he could.

"I guess." Scarlett shrugged her shoulders. "She gave me anything I wanted, so I guess that was good."

"She gave you a nice car. Why are you tearing it apart?"

"To make sure there's no tracking chip in it or any kind of HYDRA tech."

"Smart." Tony nodded his head. "How long have you been up?"

"Never went to sleep." She called over her shoulder. She shuffled through a pile of tools then picked up a wrench.

"When was the last time you did sleep?"

"Few days ago." She got back down on to the creeper and pushed herself underneath the car. "Sleep isn't easy."

Tony could relate. Sometimes it was easier to push through a day tired and worn than it was to close your eyes.

"Is there anything I can do to help you, Scar?"

———

Scarlett and Tony made their way out of the elevator. Tony laughed at something Scarlett had said. It closer to nine the morning now so the rest of the team was working on getting up and getting the day started.

"What've you two been up to?" Pepper asked curiously as Tony moved to greet her.

"Tore apart Scar's really nice Bentley and got to rebuild it." He grinned. "It was awesome."

"Bentley?" Clint repeated with raised brows. "She has a Bentley?"

"Yeah. Costs almost fifty grand more than my best Audi."