[ 18 ]

Natasha pushed the door to boiler room open. The room was located in the basement of the Compound. With one hand holding a flashlight and the other her gun, she led the way down the stairs.

"She's here." Wanda said. She was right behind he Widow.

"Is she alone?" Bucky asked.

"Yes."

Natasha turned a corner and stopped in her tracks.

"James." She said his name quietly. Bucky moved past Wanda to be at Natasha's side. There were four dead bodies laying on the floor. In the center was Scarlett. She was on her knees with her arms by her sides and her head hanging. "Scarlett?"

"I didn't want to." She whispered, shaking her head softly as she rocked herself back and forth. "I-I swear I didn't—,"

"It's okay, sweetheart." Natasha cautiously moved towards her daughter. She kicked the knife away from Scarlett before kneeling down in front of her. "What happened, Scarlett?" The HYDRA assassin shook her head. Natasha hesitantly reached out to touch Scarlett's shoulder. Much to the Widow's surprise, Scarlett instantly melted into her arms, allowing Natasha to hold her close and hold her tight.

"Is she bleeding?" Bucky asked. He glanced over his shoulder to see if Wanda was still with them, but the Witch was gone.

"It's not mine." Scarlett answered.

"Tell us what happened, Scarlett." Natasha urged. Scarlett pulled herself out of the Widow's arms and sat back on her knees.

"Dumbasses jumped me. Gave me some kind of tranquilizer to knock me out. They wanted to kill me because they thought I killed two of their own." Scarlett pushed herself to her feet and took a deep breath. "What's.... What's going to happen?"

"This was self defense." Bucky said. Natasha softly shook her head as she brought her gaze to him.

"When word gets out that she killed four agents today, no matter the reason, she's going to be targeted. It's not safe here for her."

"Then what do we do? Where do we go?"

"I'll leave." Scarlett whispered, bringing her eyes to Natasha.

"And go where? Back to HYDRA? I don't think so." The redhead shook her head. "Let me talk to the others. Maybe they'll have some suggestions. You take her to her room."

Bucky nodded his head and shifted his gaze to Scarlett.

"Do you need—,"

"No, I don't." She cut him off firmly, moving past him to stomp up the stairs.

———

"What's going on, Nat?" Steve asked. She had sent a text message to him and Tony telling them to meet her in one of the empty break rooms.

"Scarlett can't stay here any longer." Natasha closed the door behind herself. "I thought giving her the freedom to roam the halls as she pleased would be good for her but.... I guess trouble just follows her around. She was attacked by four agents and taken to the boiler room. They were going to kill her, but she got them first."

"Is she okay?" Tony furrowed his brows together.

"Yeah. I think she's just angry with herself right now." Natasha sat down on the sofa next to Tony. "But I don't want to put Hill in a difficult spot. I'm not going to keep Scarlett here any longer."

"Where do you plan on taking her?" Steve leaned forward in his seat with his elbows on his knees.

"I don't know." Natasha answered with a forced smile. "I don't know, Steve. I don't trust her enough to let her out anywhere with civilians but I don't think I have that luxury right now."