John Slate

I looked around the classroom and surveyed my students. Most of them were just sitting there, idly picking their nails or doodling on their notebooks.

Except for Annabeth Chase. Her notebook was open and she was sitting up straight, grey eyes trained on the board and pen in hand.

Despite her dyslexia, she was one of my best students. She worked the hardest and scored the highest.

"Good morning," I said.

"Good morning, Mr. Slate," twenty-eight students replied dully.

The twenty-ninth who replied clearly and happily, was none other than Annabeth.

And the thirtieth wasn't here yet. It was a new student. I didn't remember his full name. It was something Jackson.

I glanced down at the paper in my hand and read the name. Percy Jackson.

"Today we have a new student."

As of on cue, the door opened and a boy, maybe seventeen or eighteen walked in. His hair looked like it hadn't been brushed and he looked tiered, yet his unique sea green eyes sparkled with happiness.

He scanned the room quickly and must have found what- or who- he was looking for, because he grinned widely.

"Uh, hello?" he asked, bringing his gaze towards me.

"Hello, you must be Percy. Go ahead and sit there," I said gesturing to the empty seat. He hurried to sit down and I addressed the class once again. "You have ten minutes to get acquainted before we start our new lesson."

I sat down behind my desk and watched as Annabeth rose from her seat and made way over to Percy.

The entire class watched in suspense, trying to see if Percy would flirt with her. And he did.

She stuck her hand out and said, "Annabeth Chase."

He smirked and gripped her hand. "Hello. However, shouldn't you pronounce your last name Jackson."

Everybody got ready for the angry retort that she usually gave when someone hit on her.

She raised her eyebrows, but a smile twitched on her lips. She withdrew her hand, crossing her arms.

"That the best you got?" she asked.

"Oh, yeah. I like your jacket, however, it looks familiar," he smiled, like it was an inside joke.

I hadn't really looked at what she was wearing, but I did now. She had a pair of grey skinny jeans and black combat boots, paired with a caribbean blue pullover hoodie that was at least three sizes to big.

Her lips twitched again, but it was more noticeable. Suddenly a bubble of laughter broke free. Everybody stared in shock.

"It was the only jacket I had, Seaweed Brain!" she exclaimed.

He chuckled and stood up to hug her, kissing the top of her head.

She let go and sat back down, as if nothing had happened.

I cleared my throat and started the lesson. "So today..."