six

Things really can get worse. The dinner had gone quietly, with only vague conversations here and there. At one point, Awsten's father decided to fish and ask indirect questions.

"So have you got a girlfriend yet, Awsten?"

"No."

The blond boy knows that that wasn't really the question his dad had asked. He had really asked if Awsten was still gay, and by saying no to the question he directly asked, he said yes to the question he indirectly asked.

Things have taken a turn for the worst, and Awsten has plenty of time to think about it as he walks to a nearby park. He left immediately after dinner, but he doesn't want to go see his friends. He needs to think. He needs a plan.

It doesn't occur to him that maybe his three (Two? Is Geoff even his friend?) new friends could be of some assistance. He's used to going about things like this on his own.

He needs a plan and a contingency plan, and maybe even a second contingency plan, just for good measure.

Contingency plans are everything, and most of the time they're more important than the main plan. That's something that Awsten learned years ago.

He sits down on the grass. A tree casts a faint shadow over him, as it's already getting dark. The air is slightly chilled, leaving a hollow feeling beneath his shirt.

He dressed nicer than he normally would for dinner. His usual black skinny jeans are still present, but the sweater or hoodie he would commonly wear has been replaced with a casual maroon button-down. Tiny white birds decorate the thin fabric, and the edges of the short sleeves are folded up a little. He thinks he looks good, but he wishes he hadn't put this much effort in for his father.

He shivers slightly and begins to wonder if his father has really changed.

"I know you two have had your differences, but Awsten, he's changed. He really has."

"I have, and I'm sorry for how I treated you all those years ago."

The blond boy doesn't buy it for a second. He begins to pick at the grass beside him.

This is the worst case scenario. Then again, his entire life seems to be a worst case scenario.

On the bright side- as bright as this situation can get- Awsten is older now. He's older and his father doesn't have as much influence over him. Knowing that makes him feel a bit better. Another good thing- he isn't living in the house with the blond boy. If his mom feeds him information about when his dad is supposed to come over, he can avoid him.

That is the plan. Avoidance.

Now he just needs a contingency plan, but before he can begin figuring one out, his thoughts are interrupted.

"Awsten? What're you doing out here?" A certain boy wearing a leather jacket asks as he veers off the sidewalk, walking toward Awsten.

Geoff reckons the entire universe is out to get him, because when he spotted the clearly troubled boy, he couldn't leave him there alone, and the universe fucking knows that. He is sitting under a tree, his knees pulled to his chest. His colorful eyes hold distance. He's not having a good night, that much is easy to tell.

He's also wearing a short sleeve button-down, and Geoff blushes a little at how cute he looks.

"Um, just thinking, I guess," the blond boy shyly replies.