Chapter Five

Merida's Point of View
"Can you call up your high school friend?" Hiccup asked from across the apartment.

"I can call her," I started. "I can't guarantee she'll say yes. She's not exactly the hired-girlfriend type."

I strolled over to the kitchen and opened the refrigerator door as I continued my conversation with Hiccup. "It won't hurt to ask her, will it?" Hiccup insisted.

In a green plastic tub, were iced bread rolls topped with a red candy. I've never known what the name of these snacks were; but, I do know they were scrumptious. I shoved a bread roll in my mouth and continued my conversation.

"Fine," I gave in. "I'll call her."

Once the bread rolls were nearly gone, I grabbed my phone and dialed the number of my high school best friend.

The two of us went to school in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I had just moved to the United States from Scotland and didn't know anyone in the entire country, let alone John Adams High School. Despite my bright and big red hair, I was completely invisible. Only one person in the entire school who remotely knew I existed. She was not the person you would expect to come up to a complete-nobody and offer their friendship.

If you first laid eyes on her, you would think she's the most stereotypical girl alive; however, most people were wrong. On the outside, my friend always dressed up, had a smile that could light up the room, and, though she was very quiet and reserved, every girl aspired to be her. Once I got to know her, I learned that she's the most down-to-earth, intelligent, and independent person I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

***
"What is with that ugly hair?" A tall, auburn hair-ed man asked me. He kept touching and poking me. Does this qualify as harassment?

"And that disgusting accent," Another tall, muscular, black haired man added. 

The only person who saw this go down, was a girl across the table, whose nose was stuck in a book. 

"Leave me alone!" I shouted; however, they didn't listen. They slid my blue lunch tray across the table to the blonde haired bookworm.

"Just leave her alone already." She said, her face still hidden behind her book.

"Stay outta this, Arens," The auburn-ed hair demanded. The once silent and soft lady, turned outraged and irritated. 

"I said leave her alone," She slammed her book onto the table and stood up. The two men started to laugh and mock the girl, whose name I still didn't know. 

"What are you going to do about it?" The man made of muscle asked. 

"I could ruin your life with the click of a button." The unknown woman pulled out her black slide phone, typed something on it, and showed the two bullies. They proceeded to back away from her. 

"Okay, okay, we'll leave her alone." The two men walked away in defeat. "You won't get away with this, blondie."

"Oh, wow. I'm so scared." She said, sarcastically. The unknown girl grabbed her book and sat down next to me, bringing my lunch tray with her. 

"Damn, I'm really sorry about that," She said to me.

"It's fine, really," I informed her. 

"Merida, is it?" I nodded. "I think I'm in your Science class."

"Chemistry with Mr. Basil?" I asked and she confirmed. "I don't think I know your name."

"Elisabeth Arens. Most people call me Elsa." 

***

Elsa and I went out separate ways after we graduated. I went to the University of Pennsylvania and she shipped off to University of California-Los Angeles. Elsa always wanted to be an actress. She had huge dreams of being in movies, on Broadway, or really anything you can think of; however, Elsa hasn't had her big break, yet. Los Angeles isn't exactly the easiest city to get discovered in, since you have thousands of other people with the same dream. 

I picked my iPhone off of the counter and dialed Elsa's number. 

Ring

Ring

'Hello?' A familiar voice asked. 

"Elsa! Hello!" I said. "I have a big, big question for you."

"Did Hiccup propose?!" She excitedly assumed.

"No," She sighed. "You may want to sit down." 

"I'm in between shifts at the diner, so I'm sitting as much as I can." She giggled.

"So, I have this insanely rich friend, who needs to get a girlfriend--"

"Mer, I love you and all, but just because the man is filthy rich, doesn't mean I'll fall in love with him," She interrupted.

"Hold on," I sighed. Elsa was always bad about interrupting. "He just broke up with his girlfriend of two years-- or three years, I can never remember." Hiccup shouted the correct answer in the background, but I could care less. "Anyways, he can't seem to bounce back from that."

"What does this have to do with me?" Elsa asked. 

"We want you to pretend to be his girlfriend," I informed. "He said he'll pay."

"I don't know, Mer. It sounds a little sketchy..."

"The man is Jack Frost, owner of Frost Film Studios." 

"Oh, wow-- um--" She paused, not knowing what to say. "I'll try it out."

"Great! We can have a flight leave tomorrow morning," I excitedly told her. "It'll be great to have you in New York. You'll love--" Shouting was heard from Elsa's end of the phone call. It sounded like a deep, male voice. 

"I'm sorry, I have to go. My boss is shouting at me to get back on the clock," She informed me. "Send me all the details tonight, please! Goodbye."

"Goodb--" But Elsa had already hung up the phone. 

I threw myself down onto the forest green colored couch. Hiccup sat up, his eyebrows raised. In a way, he looked like a dog waiting to be fed dinner.

"She's in." 

***
The next morning, Hiccup, Jack, Jack's assistant, whose name I didn't know, and myself all gathered in the conference room of Frost Film to discuss the plan.

"So, this girl, is the absolutely perfect girl?" Jack asked, nervously.

"Yes, I'm certain," I grabbed Jack's Mac Book and got onto a search engine. 

'Elsa Arens Actress' I typed. The first image that popped up was Elsa's head shot.

Elsa wore a black top with a white, pearl necklace. Her platinum blonde hair covered her shoulders and had a nice, soft wave to it. The background was grey, making her icy blue eyes pop more than anything in the entire picture. Her face had absolutely no flaws in it; but, in real life, it never has any flaws.

I moved the laptop back over to Jack, he showed no reaction. 

"She'll definitely get the press' attention." Jack stated. "Inform her that she can stay in my apartment, I have a spare bedroom. And, we'll discuss pricing whenever she arrives."

Jack left the meeting room, emotionless. 

"That was odd, even for Jack." Hiccup announced.