Chapter 16: Party continued

After awhile they all decided it was best to stagger back into the main party since they knew soon everyone would be wanting to do toasts and what not. Lane and Henry were the last to go in and Lane grabbed his arm before they left the pool house. "Hey is everything alright, you don't seem like yourself tonight." Lane asked him. "Lane all you've talked about since you met that Dave guy is, Dave and the guys this Dave and the guys that. I don't like it." Henry said seriously. "Henry, it's not like that, I love you, but I love music I need the band." She said almost in tears. "Lane, I love you too but I don't want to share you." Henry said back. "I'm not giving up my music!" She answered firmly. "Well then you've made your choice. Goodbye Lane." Henry said not giving her a chance to say anything else as he walked away. Lane leaned against the wall and just cried falling to the floor.

The rest of the crew had made their way inside and mingled as if they had been in there the entire night. "How was your sub party?" Lorelai asked as she leaned in next to Colin. "Mom, you always know." He laughed knowing his mom always knew when they disappeared even when no one else noticed. Meanwhile Logan led Rory around the room with his hand on the small of her back with many people noticing.
"Andrew when did Rory and Logan begin dating?" Eliza asked as Shira overheard. "They are not dating Logan will eventually be matched with a suitable woman who can hold up to the needs of our family." Shira butted in as Lorelai walked up.  "Excuse me? Suitable? What is that supposed to mean Shira?" Lorelai asked slightly loud.
During this commotion the group noticed and decided to head back out to the pool house.
"Well I just mean that Rory may be a Gilmore but she wants a career, she can not hold up to the social aspect of our family." Shira said pointedly. "Excuse me, but she is not only a Gilmore, but she is also a McRae, and you have a lot of nerve since before you got with Mitchum you were just a cocktail waitress." Emily piped in. "Oh Emily come on. She isn't a McRae by blood, in fact I would be surprised if Lorelai even knows who her real father is." Shira said in her normal snobby tone. "That is about enough Shira! That girl is a McRae and she is the best young lady I have ever met, she is top of her class at Chilton, she does volunteer work with her best friend Paris, and she is someone who all of her friends can lean on. I never want to hear you say another negative word about her again." Eliza told Shira as Lorelai added in. "I think it's time you leave Shira."

Meanwhile in the pool house

"Lane what happened?" Rory asked sinking down beside her on the floor. "I chose music and that means I had to lose Henry." She said sobbing. "He wasn't good enough for you then." Colin piped in. "You should never have to choose between your passion and love." Finn added. "It doesn't sting as bad after a couple of weeks or after a couple of these." Paris joined in almost laughing as she slammed another shot of whiskey. "Paris are you okay love?" Finn asked catching her as she stumbled. "Yeah, peachy, Jess moved to California with his dad and almost didn't say goodbye if I hadn't showed up the night before." She said tears streaming down her face. "Okay it seems like it's time for a perk up for these two." Logan said smiling. "Ooh I know I will reenact the Passion of the Christ." Finn said excitedly. "Come on nothing ever seems quite as bad after Finns passion of the Christ." Rory laughed helping lane up. "Except Finns passion of the Christ." Logan added. The rest of the night went pretty smooth but Logan noticed Rory seemed a bit distant and quiet.