First Christmas - Part 3

The guests began filtering in at around eight

The Weasleys came first, followed by the Potters. Then came Dean Thomas, Seamus Finnigan, Luna Lovegood, Neville Longbottom, the Patel twins; most with their respective spouses.

They were followed by various old friends and acquaintances of Draco's who began to file in by ones and twos - the Greengrass sisters, Crabbe and Goyle, Pansy Parkinson (who had been invited, despite Draco's unabashed loathing, by his mother) and Blaise Zabini.

Quite a few of their old professors had been invited as well, and so the manor - and a few amused guests - witnessed a sleek tabby cat with spectacle markings around its eyes turn into Professor McGonagall on the lawn; and an already pink-in-the-face Horace Slughorn arriving with two crates of various kinds of alcohol. Professors Flitwick, Sprout and Trelawney all arrived with an assortment of presents. Madam Pomfrey was there too, clutching a large bottle of pumpkin juice to her ample bosom. Even Hagrid and Filch had been invited, though the first was yet to arrive and it was doubtful if the latter would make an appearance.

Each one was duly greeted by Narcissa Malfoy, but the hosting couple was nowhere to be seen.

Ron was the first to comment.

"Where's 'Mione?"

Narcissa was not around to explain that she had, upon her return to the Manor, discovered a bunch of discarded clothes strewn about the drawing room floor. Of course, she had levitated them to the laundry immediately, smiling secretly to herself the whole time at the assorted noises coming from upstairs.

But then, she was hardly likely to say so in front of a dozen or so guests.

So George provided the rather obvious answer, in most eloquent terms.

"Probably shagging the ferret."

Ginny elbowed him in the ribs, Ron looked as repulsed as he had the time his broken wand backfired and made him puke slugs, and Harry covered his face in mortification. The other guests were thankfully out of earshot, though Ginny did notice Astoria giving them a dirty look out of the corner of her eye.

Harry sighed. "I've told you, mate, Draco isn't the arse he used to be back at school."

George smirked. "He still calls you Potty behind your back."

Harry looked incredulous.

"What?" The ginger shrugged, making his hair flop into his face, "Hermione told me."

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Oh, give them their privacy, will you? Just because you've never shagged anyone doesn't mean you can go around commenting on people who have."

Ignoring her brother's comical expression of outrage, she grabbed Harry's arm and tugged him away to where she could see Luna and her husband, Rolf Scamander, talking to Seamus in the corner.