Problems In Prefection - Part 3

-The Great Hall-

It was time to announce the Heads.

All the newly elected Prefects stood ranged on the podium, the disappointed had gone back to their tables. Only four candidates remained. Two for Head Boy, two for Head Girl. One from each house.

The tension in the Hall was palpable.

-Hermione-

Hermione could barely see or hear anything, so anxious was she. Then Professor McGonagall said something, and from the corner of her eye she saw the Slytherin table erupt into cheers and hoots as Draco Malfoy, a smug smirk on his lips, began to walk towards the front of the Hall. She only had time for one rational thought, that Malfoy had been elected Head Boy, before the nerves returned in full force.

It was her turn next. It didn't even occur to her that with Malfoy as Head Boy she was better off not being chosen.

After that there was only the sound of the blood rushing through her veins-and it was loud, so very loud.

She was pretending to be calm, but under the cover of her robes her hands were clenched into fists, nails practically digging into the skin of her palms. A bead of sweat trickled down her neck. When was the name going to be announced? She could only wait, and pray, and wait.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Ron gesticulating wildly and Harry throwing her concerned glances. That couldn't be good- wait. Ginny was... grinning?

She heard a soft curse from the Ravenclaw standing next to her, and the impact of it hit her like a bus.

She looked up to find McGonagall looking at her with a kind smile. "I repeat, the chosen Head Girl, by an almost unanimous vote, is Miss Hermione Granger, of House Gryffindor."

By some miracle her legs began to carry her forward. The entire Gryffindor table exploded as she moved, the other tables clapping politely. Hermione managed to make her legs work long enough to walk up to the stage. Even as Professor McGonagall pinned the badge on her uniform, smiling gently, she stood in a sort of trance. It was only when she had dragged herself back to her friends and the first Gryffindors reached out to hug her did the full impact of what had just happened hit her, and the tears burst out even as she grinned so hard her cheeks hurt.

Ron was thumping her back, Ginny had a death grip on her and wouldn't let go, and Harry was grinning a maniacal grin almost as large as her own. And as she looked around her eyes caught a pair of grey ones across the room for a full, clear moment.

And now that the first high began to slowly fade, and she accepted congratulations from various people, among all the jubilation one thought stuck out clearly in Hermione's mind-she was Head Girl, and Draco Malfoy was Head Boy.

This was real.

~~~~
A/N:
This was kind of a filler. Dw, next one's gonna be longer. Ah well. Next week, y'all.
Also, that feeling of getting elected in school is real. Yep, I'm a nerd. Always the quiet ones ✌