Problems In Prefection - Part 10

The next few weeks were different, and pleasant. Draco and Hermione nodded in acknowledgement when they passed each other in the corridors, they exchanged smiles across the Great Hall at mealtimes - much to the surprise and chagrin of their friends and peers alike. If they happened to be entering their Common Room at the same time, they wished each other a good night before retiring to their respective chambers.

Glances and nods soon turned into snatches of conversation caught in the corridors between classes, short jokes and anecdotes from the day, silly little notes passed in Potions, and then eventually long late night conversations. 

In public, they were casual acquaintances; in the quiet of the night they were kindred spirits.

A month or two later, Hermione sat in the same armchair she had waited for him on the night that changed everything. Draco drowsed by her feet, tired and sleepy from the heat of the fire. They rested in companionable silence, Hermione going over her notes for the day and Draco quietly studying her. She was trying to stay awake, but he could see her head drooping. He smiled softly at her valiant efforts to keep her eyes open, thinking to himself how easy this felt. How...right.

Head heavy and barely able to keep his eyes open, Draco's head dropped softly onto her knee, fast asleep. 

Hermione froze as the blond head rolled a bit and settled stolidly on her thigh. It was clear that he had dozed off, and even clearer that he was very tired and to wake him would be cruel. Besides, she reasoned, it was an accident. She couldn't help the small smile as her fingers threaded softly through his ruffled locks, absently noting that he needed a haircut. Draco mumbled something in his dreams, shifting to rest his neck more comfortably.

And she too fell asleep, the parchment forgotten in her lap.

~~~~~
A/N
So this was originally supposed to be your typical teenage wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am sort of short fic, but watching season 2 of Sex Education was absolutely beautiful (no spoilers) and it really impressed me. We stan a healthy relationship with clear boundaries and communication. Besides, who can resist slow burn?