{20}

( NATHAN )

( NATHAN )

FLASHBACK
JULY, 1997

     "Do you think your parents will come looking for you?" Nathan couldn't help but ask. His fear of Alexander going back to his parents always sent fear through his body. Fear that they will hurt him again, fear that that time will be the time that they don't stop, that his heart will stop beating. He can't let him go back, he won't let him. He would do anything to keep him safe, away from his parents, away from Death Eaters, away from You-Know-Who.

    "Probably. I'm their only heir to the Rosier name, they won't let me go far. They have a reputation to keep." Alexander let out a bitter laugh and Nathan could hear the pain in it. "You won't be able to stop them Nate. My parents, they get what they want. They don't care who gets in their way. If I don't become a Death Eater, they'll kill me. They refuse to live with the disappointment that I am to the family name. I don't know how much longer I can fight them."

    "I'll protect you damn it! We always take care of each other. You know Thea would too." Just saying Thea's name left a bitter taste in his mouth.

    "Thea is in the hospital! If you get in their way, they will kill you. You can't protect me, not anymore, not from there. My life was written a long time again. My fate is set in stone. Nothing is going to change that. I will die before I become a Death Eater."

    "That's what I'm fucking afraid of." Everything about this left a sour image in Nathan's mind. He couldn't lose Alexander, he wouldn't know how to live. It would be more than losing family, it would be like losing a limb. Thea being gone is one thing, but she isn't allowed to die, none of his friends are. "This is only going to end badly."

    "I think you mean bloody."

    "Yeah. This is only going to end bloody."

AUGUST, 1997

"Let's run." The idea came to Nathan's mind two weeks after Alexander started to live with them.

"What?"

"Let's run away. Get out of here. I don't know, maybe to America. Anywhere is better than here. Why should we let them hurt us? Dumbledore is dead, Snape is the new headmaster, the Ministry has fallen. Everything has gone to shit. We have to leave." Nathan knew that Alexander wouldn't agree, he could see it all over his face. Then another idea sparked in his mind. "We can go with the Golden Trio. They are looking for something, we can help."

    "How do you even know this?"

     "Ginny."

     "Ginny? Your ex?" Nathan rolls his eyes but nods. He grabbed a bag that already had an Undetectable Extension Charm on it. It was a backpack from a shop in London that his mother agreed in getting.

     "Yes. Her. Just because we fucking broke up doesn't mean we aren't friends anymore. She's a good friend." Nathan could see Alexander slowly breaking, his walls coming down. "You are not becoming a damn Death Eater. I'm not living without you. So we either die together or we run together."

     "Fine. I guess our teachers were right, you never see one of us without the other." Nathan sends him a wicked smile before shoving his feet in his shoes. "I guess it won't matter if we use magic, we're already on the run." Nathan saw Alexander shove his wand in his back pocket and Nathan follows suit.

     "I'm gonna write a quick note to Ashley, just so she knows we'll be okay."

    "Shouldn't you say bye to her in person?"

    "It'll be alright. I'll just say it to her after this is all over." Nathan grabs a piece of parchment and a quill and scribbles down a note.

   'Dear Ash, Alexander and I can't stay here. I'll see you once this is all over. I promise we'll be okay. See you soon. Love, Nate'

    "C'mon, we need to get going."

    Nathan regretted so much. He regretted not saying goodbye to Ashley, he regretted not going after Thea, and he regretted not finding Alexander. One thing he will never regret, however, is running. He knows for a fact that Alexander never became a Death Eater, and that was his whole goal. He protected his friend, it didn't matter if he lived or died.

I don't know about you guys, but I LOVE writing flashbacks for Nathan. Which POV is your guys' favorite? Mine are Nathan and Emery.

Thanks

-April