Engagement, and an Uninvited Guest

The carriage rattled loudly as it sped down the road, the driver urging the horse to go faster. Inside the carriage, the Duke informed Ren of what he thought was going on.

"My brother was likely poisoned by nobles who oppose trade with the Kingdom of Mismede."

The Kingdom of Mismede? Apparently Ren's confusion showed on his face, as the Duke resumed talking.

"A newly established kingdom whose king is a beastman." The Duke explained, "My brother has been considering an alliance with the Kingdom of Mismede. If my brother passes away, the throne passes to his daughter, Princess Yumina. I'm certain this is the work of someone trying to gain power through a political marriage with Princess Yumina."

Ren's eyes hardened. He was unable to see it, but his pupils had become thin ovals instead of the normal round circles.

"And you want me to heal the king?" He asked.

The Duke nodded.

"I want you to quickly remove the poison from my brother using the spell you cast on Ellen, Dragon Avalon."

Ren nodded. In no time at all, the carriage pulled up to the royal castle. The guards were quick to let them in. As they walked through the entrance, their footsteps echoed throughout the room. Reaching the stairs, the pair stopped when an older man appeared at the top. The top of the man's head was bald and the hair on the side was grey. His brown eyes seemed to leer down at them. He also had an unpleasantly smug look on his face.

"Count Balsa." The Duke acknowledged as he started up the stairs.

"My, what an honor, Your Grace." Count Balsa said in a tone that told Ren he was speaking in a disrespectful and mocking tone, "You've come at the perfect time. We just managed to capture the culprit who is after His Majesty's life."

The Duke stopped.

"Wh-What?!"

Ren narrowed his eyes. The man's voice alone was enough to make his blood boil, and it normally took a lot to rile him up.

"The culprit is the ambassador from Mismede." Count Balsa said in a superior tone, "We must cut off her head and return it to her rotten country-"

"Absolutely not!" The Duke said in a stern voice, "My brother will be the one to decide this."

Count Balsa seemed to be disappointed.

"Is that so?" He said before his smug look returned, "Your words are too kind for a lowly beastman."

Without another word, Count Balsa turned and started for the stairs and the Duke continued the king's room. Before Count Balsa could start down the stairs, he suddenly felt as if someone was glaring at him. Looking over his shoulder, the fat man locked eyes with Ren and froze. Ren's eyes were narrowed, yet it did nothing to diminish the blood chilling look that bore into the Count. It didn't help that the boy's eyes were like a cat's, no, a dragon's. It was quite a descriptive look, too. Not paying attention, the Count took a step back, slipped, and fell down the stairs. With a satisfied grin on his face, Ren turned and hurried after the Duke.

Meanwhile in the king's room, the king was in his bed with a pained expression and his face was beaded in sweat. A young blonde girl gently the king's hand and held it to her cheek.

"Father..." She said with tears in her eyes.

A woman, clearly the girl's mother, with long blonde hair and blue eyes stood near the bed.