Chapter 4

CHAPTER 4: I'm Talking About Tacos

3rd Person POV

Barry hands Caitlin the sample and they both get to work. "Huh that's weird," Caitlin remarks studying the results. "What?" Barry asks curiously and comes over to the microscope. "This person's genetic markers keep disappearing and reappearing," Caitlin moves a step back so he can take a look, but trips over his foot and Barry catches her. They stay in that position for a few moments until Iris clears her throat. Caitlin stands up straight and smooths her blouse down. "Thanks." Barry nods before looking into the microscope.

"This is impossible," Barry says shocked. "You're one to talk Barry," Caitlin points out and laughs. Barry can't help but smile. "Can you save this data so I can run the sample back to the CCPD?" "Yeah sure," Caitlin replies as she saves the data. Barry takes the sample back to the CCPD and returns a few moments later.

"I was actually thinking about this new meta. I mean how is it possible for genetic markers to be disappearing?" Barry furrows his eyebrows. "It's not really," Caitlin says before her eyes widen, "Unless the genetic markers aren't disappearing…" "They're just moving too fast for the equipment to process the data!" They finish in unison. "So he's like a speedster of genes?" "Interesting theory but if it were a speedster then the elements from the speed force would be picked up by Cisco's latest advancement in speedster technology."

"So what are you thinking?" Barry looks at her curiously. "I'm thinking the genetic markers aren't disappearing and reappearing but it's sort of like two people are living in one body so the body keeps switching between the DNA of the two people because they're merged into one body without their DNA being compatible so my guess is that if it continues for at least another month then the host will be unstable because the incompatible DNAs will try to force a merge." "So like Firestorm but because their DNA hasn't merged together in any way yet, it's still possible to separate them. And best of all it won't be nuclear." "Exactly!" They smile brightly at each other like they are the only two people in the room even though Iris stands across the room looking at them with her arms folded.

Caitlin lets out a yawn. Barry's mind immediately shifts focus. "We can deal with that tomorrow. The CCPD is still trying to get a positive ID on the guy. So let's get you to bed."

"Yeah I've called you a cab so we can all get going," Iris says, happy that the science part is over and they can enjoy an evening alone at home. "Don't be silly," Barry brushes Iris off, "I'll take her home." Caitlin notices the tension in the room. "You know I don't mind. A cab will only take five minutes," Caitlin offers selflessly. "And I'll take five seconds," Barry argues, "Plus the Flash Express is safer and you have very precious cargo on board." He pauses before remembering Iris then he adds nonchalantly, "Iris can take the cab back to the apartment." Iris huffs and leaves the room, but Barry doesn't notice because Caitlin yawns again and he wants to get her to bed as soon as possible.

Caitlin grabs her handbag and Barry runs them to her apartment. "You go get changed and I will go grab dinner. What are you craving?" "Barry I'm fine we can just have whatever there is in the kitchen." "There's nothing in the kitchen," Barry points out, "If you tell me what you want then this argument will finish a lot sooner and I'm pretty sure you're almost as hungry as me." "Hey!" Caitlin narrows her eyes at him before admitting, "Maybe."

She weighs her options. "Tacos," Caitlin replies after giving it some thought. Caitlin then goes to her bedroom as Barry flashes away to grab dinner. She changes into Barry's shirt and her sweatpants. A few minutes later she smells the aroma of fresh tacos in her kitchen and practically skips to the kitchen in delight.

"If it's tacos you want, it's tacos you'll have," Barry says gesturing to the plate before smirking, "And they're all the way from Mexico." "You ran all the way to Mexico for Tacos?" Caitlin asks in awe. "Just for you." "You really are something Barry Allen," Caitlin smiles at him before they dig into some delicious tacos.