Chapter 5

CHAPTER 5: REMEMBER

3rd Person POV

"What are you doing tomorrow for lunch?" "Iris wants us to go out on a date that she's been planning for a while because we haven't been spending much time together alone lately," Barry replies before he sees Caitlin chew on her lower lip. "Why what's wrong?" "Nothing's wrong. Why would think that something's wrong?" Caitlin laughs nervously. Barry raises his eyebrow and smirks at her. "You still bite your lower lip when something's bothering you." Upon hearing those familiar words, Caitlin's mind travels to a simpler and happier time.

FLASHBACK

"Something bothering you?" Barry asks looking curiously at Caitlin.

"Why would you ask that?" Caitlin replies shyly.

"You're doing that biting your lower lip thing that you do when something's bothering you," Barry points out.

Caitlin clears her throat. "I'm fine."

Barry nods his head still not believing her but knowing that when she's ready to talk, she will. "Okay"

"Cisco says I don't have life!" Caitlin pouts and crosses her arms.

"You don't do you?" Barry asks jokingly with a raised eyebrow.

"I do! I cook and I eat and… I read and I help you," She lists her activities.

"So what you're saying is you do everything that has nothing to do with having a life?" Barry asks playfully.

"You don't have to be rude about it," She smiles at him.

Barry chuckles. "Hey I'm not doing any better than you. My social life consists of running at superhuman speed and Netflix."

"We are quite the pair Mr Allen." She offers him a dazzling smile and he responds with one of his own.

"Yes we are Dr Snow." They look at each other intensely for a few moments until the computer system beeps.

FLASHBACK ENDS

"Oh," Caitlin blushes. "So do you want to tell me what's wrong or do you want to skirt around the issue for a few minutes until I convince you to tell me what's wrong?" "Skirt around the issue?" Caitlin suggests jokingly before pausing. "How are you so sure you can convince me?" Caitlin raises her eyebrow. "I have my ways," He smirks before humming the tune of 'Summer Loving' from Grease. "You wouldn't?" Caitlin gapes at him in mock horror. "I won't if you tell me what's wrong," Barry replies smugly. "Fine," Caitlin says before taking a deep breath and sitting down on the couch.

"I didn't know that you guys had a date but we're uh doing an ultrasound tomorrow at STAR Labs, you know if you want to be there. I understand if you can't miss your date but Cisco organised my doctor and he or she is coming specially into town for this."

"Are you kidding?" Barry smiles brightly, "Of course I'm going to be there. I can't wait to see our little guy!" "What about your date?" Caitlin points out. "Don't worry about that, this is more important. We get to see our son for the first time tomorrow. Why aren't you more excited about this?" Barry's eyes light up as he rambles. "I am," Caitlin smiles at him.

For a second she allows herself to imagine that this is her present - the two of them, their baby and all the happiness they'll ever need. But before long Caitlin brings herself to the reality of Barry being engaged to Iris and their child being a product of different versions of themselves. She pushes all the thoughts out of her head and focuses on Barry who begins telling her various information from all the baby books he has been reading.

After an overload of information, Caitlin starts to feel tired and drifts off to sleep on the couch. Barry notices a piece of hair fall onto her face and carefully tucks it behind her ear. He slowly picks her up and walks to her bedroom before gently laying her down on the bed. He tucks her in and is about to leave when he hears her mumble 'don't leave me' over and over in her sleep.

With all the excitement of everything and the distraction of Iris, Barry realises he forgot everything that Caitlin went through. He remembers all the nightmares he used to have and occasionally still has. He remembers how he always hated waking up alone and in the dark, just replaying everything over and over in his head. In that moment, he realises he can't leave.

He climbs into bed beside her and feels completely at peace as he drifts off to sleep.