o27

a poem dedicated to star boy :

i know i've written so many poems and excerpts about you, but i feel that, in order for me to finally let these feelings for you go, i need to put in all in one place

here i go

i love your freckles. they're like the constellations up in the dark sky that i stare at almost every night, wishing that we could go stargazing one day. they're like the puzzles i grew up with, the ones where you have to connect the dots. those were my favorites, like how you're one of my favorite people to be around. your freckles are scattered over your face like someone sprinkled moon dust over you and sent you off into the world to break people's hearts, hearts like mine.

i love your puns. i know i say that they're terrible and they remind me of the jokes my dad makes every single day, but im secretly in love with them. i know i always look annoyed, but trust me when i say that each pun makes my day. the play on words your lips manage to murmur out like lullabies make my heart pound and my face red.

i love our jokes. we both know they're so stupid and we sound like complete fools when we shout across the pool, but we always double over in laughter. jokes ranging from our friend's relationships to our own little code which always has a stranger casting us a concerned glance when we discuss murder plans.

sunglasses are our thing now.

im afraid to put my hand on your shoulder like i do with everyone else.

i know that we will go our separate ways soon, count the days down until we see each other again. i know you're the summer fling that i always like in those short two months, causing my brain to go in circles about how much i miss you when you miss practices.

you'll love someone else

and i'll love someone else

but, for now, let's share stares and grins and whispers and earbuds, and let the summer breeze go by in peace