Reach

I laid there, the feeling in my arm totally gone. The Elite hovered over me, poised for the kill. Only when he looked up and saw a Super-carrier charging up its Cleansing Beam did it run.

Closing my eyes, I let out a long, mournful sigh. I'm coming, Noble...

Suddenly, my CO's voice played in my head. It was after Jeorge's death and Kat's unexpected end.

"Keep your head up, soldier. There is still hope..."

Hope... Something I tried to keep. What did I do wrong?

As I laid there, accepting, I thought about the sister I left back on Remnant.

We may not have been close, Summer, but I hope you have lived a good life, compared to mine. Have a kid, will ya? Tell 'em about me...

The fire never came.

——————
POV swap provided by RWBY Chibi! Noble Six is fighting the Covenant alone, to the best of his abilities!
——————

Ruby's POV:

I was sitting on my bed, reading my comics at night when an orange light lit the room. Weiss, Blake and Yang also saw it, so I was sure I wasn't crazy.

Weiss bolted up, looking around. "What was that?!?"

Blake gazed out the window, her finger tracing something. "It looks like something fell out of the sky. I think it fell in the forest..."

My sister cracked her knuckles. "Let's find out what it is!"

Weiss looked at Yang. "For once, I agree with you. Let's go!"

We all donned our clothes and weapons, then bolted off-campus, following Blake. Noticing a plume of smoke in the distance, we picked up the pace, me partially dragging my partner along.

"What... do you... think... it is?" Weiss was out of breath.

I shrugged. "Dunno. Maybe it's an alien!" We continued walking, the smoke almost on top of us.

Weiss glared at me. "Don't be so ridiculous!"

We bumped into Yang and Blake, who were staring ahead. "Guys?" My sister sounded mystified.

"Yeah, big sis?"

Blake and Yang simply pointed ahead. I turned my head to see a huge metal thing. Only when it shifted did I realize what it was.

"HOLY CRAPES!!! I WAS RIGHT!!!!!" I bounced up.

The alien moaned. I paused my celebration to ask "hello?"

The response I got was something I understood, somewhat. "Fuck.... Are you a Marine?"

We all looked at "him". (It sounded like a dude!) "Uh, what?"

The thing tried to get up, but yelled and its left hand flew to its shoulder. It fell back down with a solid thud and we stood around it.

"Who are you?" Weiss reached out to touch a red spot.

The thing simply moaned and when Weiss pulled her hand back, we were horrified to find blood on her fingers! Immediately, Yang picked them up with a lot of struggle and some help from Blake and Weiss while I rushed back to Beacon. Thankfully, Ozpin and Professor Goodwitch were at the gates.

Ms. Goodwitch looked at my scared face and grabbed her wand. "What happened?!?"

"Something living fell from the sky and is bleeding! I- . I think he has a broken arm!"

Ozpin took a calm sip of drink. "And where is this man?"

"H- here..." Yang's voice was strained.

Blake and Weiss seemed like they were about to pass out. "He's heavier than he looks. A lot heavier..."

Ozpin nodded, then helped us carry him to the medical wing. As soon as we placed him on a bed, Weiss and Blake passed out while I clung to Sister and Sister leaned on the wall. Everyone was panting. How did we carry him!

Yang and I watched as the doctors removed his super heavy armor and revealed a man with too many scars to count. They cleaned up his face and strapped a clear mask over his mouth, then got to work examining him. General Ironwood came in at one point and examined his right arm.

"It looks as if he had been stabbed in the arm. I don't think we can fix it..." A doctor mulled over the broken arm.

Ironwood sighed. "I'll have my techs build him a new arm... and I guess repair his armor for him." Ironwood opened a pocket and found four pairs of dog tags. "Wait, why does he have dog tags? UNSC? What's that?"

Ironwood shook his head, then walked over to me. He slipped the tags into my hands and looked back at the man. "I think he'd want those when he wakes up. Take care of them."

I gave him a nod, then studied the man's face. For some strange reason, I feel like I've seen his face before, like in a photo...

——————
Time-skip provided by REBY Chibi!

Blake and Weiss are snuggled together, Yang is passed out, and Ruby is staring at the man unconscious on the operating table!
——————

My eyes shot up when I heard a moan. Looking at the man, I saw that he had gotten a new right arm and his head was lolling from side to side. No one but me was up, so I stood up and walked over to him.

"NO!"

He suddenly bolted up, causing me to scream and fall backwards. He took a moment to catch his breath and look around before he saw me sitting on the ground. Slowly, he put a hand to his face, undisturbed by his prosthetic hand.

"Sorry, I-...." he said nothing more.

Nervously, I stood up. Standing before him, I took a deep breath. "Well, uh, m-my name is Ruby Rose. What's your's?"

His eyes shot open and gave me a strange look. He took a while before answering, giving me enough time to realize he had silver eyes, like me. "Call me Noble Six."

I tilted my head. "Noble Six? That's strange..."

He sighed. "Noble Six is my callsign. Who are they?" He gestured to my sleeping team.

"Who? Them? They're my team! Team RWBY!"

He chuckled. "You're a leader? Neat."

I smiled. "Yep! Just like my mom before me!"

He looked at me with a strange look. "Who is your mother?"

"Summer Rose! She..." my face grew dark. "She's... dead..."

I heard him sigh, then stand up. "I'm sorry." His voice had hints of... sadness?

I looked up at the towering man. "Did you know her?"

He didn't answer and instead put on his cleaned and repaired armor. Grabbing a rifle off the table, he then walked away, leaving me confused.

Why is he so familiar?

And that is the first chapter of Turned to Dust! How was this first chapter? Why did Six simply walk away after learning about Summer Rose's death? Go on! Speculate!!!