The End of a Friend

Blade's PoV:

I left Glynda to deal with the cops as I chased after Velvet. The sun had fallen to the horizon and Dot had a reading on her bio signature.

Running through alley after alley, I followed the waypoints Dot gave me. Over time, I started to hear Velvet. She sounded distressed.

Grimacing, I drew my combat knife in my left hand and Emile's kukuri in my right. Rounding a corner, I saw several cops surrounding a bloody and beaten Velvet. Her clothes were ripped up and a cop rushed towards her, gripping her neck. He slammed her into the side of a building and then grabbed some duct tape.

"Hel-!"

He taped her mouth shut and then stretched his hand out towards his fellow cops. They handed him cuffs and he cuffed her in between two poles.

"Ooooh, the fun we'll have with you!"

They approached her, mouths drooling like a dog with a bone. One started to slide his hand under her shirt and tears started to form in Velvet's eyes.

"Dot, turn off the cammo."

"But Noble Six. The sun is right behind us. If we decloak, a shadow will be immediately cast."

"That's the point."

"As you wish."

Dot turned off my cloak, casting a shadow upon the scene. The cops turned around to be faced with the embodiment of death. They nodded at eachother and drew pistols. Faster than they could react, I disarmed them and tied their hands and feet together.

"What the-?"

I knocked each and every one of them out before tying them up, Predator style. I then freed Velvet and she gazed up at me, terrified. I offered a hand and she gazed at it.

"I won't hurt you. Professor Ozpin sent me."

She gazed at my visor, then placed her hand in mine. I pulled her up and she fell into me. Immediately, she started crying.

"Th-. The-."

"You don't have to speak. I saw it all go down."

She clinged to my chest piece as she cried an ocean of tears. I quietly stood there, holding her gently in my arm, her hand still in mine.

"Dot. What is Glynda's situation?"

"She is com-coming to us as-. As we sp-speak. that bi-bi—ch-ch."

"Dot? Are you okay?"

She didn't answer.

"Dot?"

Still nothing.

"We're discussing this when we get back to Beacon."

I heard Dot sigh. Glynda rounded the corner.

"Where's Velvet? Is she okay?"

I looked at her and gestured downwards with my head. Glynda rounded me and saw Velvet whimpering into my chest, cheeks stained with tears. She tapped her shoulder and led her back to Beacon and into he loving arms of her team. I took a different route home.

"Dot. What happened to you after the fight?"

It took her a long time before she replied, and when she did, it sounded like she was reluctant to do so. "I've been in service for over eight years, Six."

"What does-?"

"AIs start degrading after seven. I was able to sacrifice my looks for my sanity, thus the UNSC kept me in service for longer."

"Dot. I don't like the sound of this...."

"You shouldn't. Six, I have nothing left to sacrifice. So please, spare me. Destroy my chip."

I froze. "What?"

"Noble Six. Please destroy my AI chip. I don't wish to suffer through rampancy."

I stood there for a long time before letting my head fall with a sigh. Slowly and painfully, I reached up to feel Auntie Dot's AI chip. Tugging on the key-ring loop, the cool mercury retreated from my mind as I pulled out the chip. Bringing it down in front of me, I gazed at the chip. The soft blue glow that was Dot hummed in the center of the chip, the same glow that was asking for me to destroy it. Tears started to roll down my eyes as my fingers slowly curled over the chip, covering the glow.

My tears fell harder as I slowly tightened my grip, watching as the metal bent and the crystal crack. The tears fell even harder as I closed my fist even more, fractures appearing in the metal.

"I'm sorry."

And with that final whisper, I shattered the chip, leaving nothing but a bit of metal. Glumly, I hung it around my neck and walked away, my visor covering my tear-stricken face.

Spartans don't show emotions. They're just machines bred and trained to die in war.

I laid down in bed and reflected on every death I had seen.

From the moment they are born, a Spartan is surrounded by death. They show nothing, feel nothing. They are machines, built to kill.

My dreams were sour.

Spartans are soldiers. Our job is to protect humanity, no matter the cost. And the cost is great.

I watched as everyone I have ever known get cut down one by one by Elites. Ruby was the last to go. She was bloody and beaten up and gazed up at me for help. The Elite picked her up and cut off her hands and feet, then cut her at the elbows and knees, then shoulders and hips. Then the torso. Then the neck. All he while, she screamed in agony. I couldn't move.

I watched as one final person stood before me, lined up for the kill. It was me as a child. And instead of an Elite who brandished the blade, it was me in my Mjolnier armor. I stabbed myself through the heart and watched as I gasped for air, desperate to cling to life. Eventually, child me perished, hand stretched towards Spartan me and my world turned black.

I am a Spartan. I show no emotion, give nothing but death. That is what I was bred for and that is what I will die for.

I am simply: a Spartan.

Sorry for the kinda dark ending. I wanted to make Six more of a pessimistic Spartan. But Six won't revert back to being a machine, don't worry. He will still express emotion for Ruby. But to everyone else, he is colder than Weiss.

See you in the next chapter.