9

-

The medic was busy searching the Earth for energon mines since they were low in supply this given period. At current he had found nothing, the complete opposite news that he wanted to give to his leader. As he hunted, his optics widened when an alert came up onto his monitor.

A distress signal?

A con signal?

Not Starscream again. What did he do this time?

Ratchet worked to investigate the sudden surprise that intruded on his recent research. Filling the screen the white and red mech turned his concentration towards it, his optics wide once he'd studied it. There wasn't much clarification, and not much detail to explain what was going on but...

Knockout?

Of all the mechs that remained on this Earth, the only other mech that was qualified as a medic was asking for medical help?

Odd.

Ratchet almost went to cross it off with a sharp huff, assuming it to be a trick of some form though he wasn't the only one who had been signalled of the alarm.

"What do you make of this Ratchet?" Ratchet turned his helm to see his leader approaching him in his usual manner. The mech known as Optimus Prime was always calm and collected, even in a stressful moment. It was one of the qualities that made him such a great leader, and a great friend to all that were willing to become such a thing.

"I'm not sure Optimus, it could be some sort of trick...,"

"My thoughts exactly," Optimus agreed, going to bring the signal up again on Ratchet's monitor to read it through again. "Though... we will never know unless we look deeper into it,"

"You aren't suggesting we actually go to the location the signal is requesting?" Ratchet questioned, his opticbrows raising. Optimus preserved a dignified expression, turning his gaze to his associate.

"That I am, old friend. Maybe if we assist Knockout, whatever his condition may be- he may return us with some vital information we need," The Prime paused. "The Decepticon medic tends to do things that suit him, rather than defend his cause,"

"You mean his precious paint-job?" Ratchet spitefully said. Optimus hummed to show he had recognised Ratchet's answer but was already setting the coordinates of the signal into the groundbridge control.

"Ratchet, bring your medical kit... we will most likely be needing it," The Prime said and waited patiently for Ratchet to do so, given the medic's actions were reluctant. Optimus seemed to brush the hesitance off, aware that Ratchet was not at all pleased with his decision. Though he didn't say anything, as it wasn't important at current. The Prime kept himself aware that he may have to bring it up sooner or later if this distress signal was in fact not a conspiracy.

Optimus and Ratchet stepped through the groundbridge to be exposed to a forest habitat. It was raining, the soft pitter-patter of water hitting their plating immediately. Already setting a serene yet mysterious vibe to where they were headed.

"Great, not only are we finding a con, but we have to do so in the rain," Ratchet grumbled, holding his arm up as he looked at the location where they needed to go. Optimus looked toward Ratchet as his engine whirred.

"Whilst this isn't how we both want to pass our time as the others run patrol- ambush or not, we still need to know if Knockout does indeed require our assistance,"

"It just...it doesn't make any sense!" Ratchet then said in a small outburst. "Knockout rarely leaves the Nemesis! Not after he failed mission after mission getting those relics. Why would he suddenly be out and about in the middle of nowhere...?"

"You are not the only one to find this suspicious, Ratchet," Optimus said, looking around, his optics squinting against the rain. It had sped up quite quickly, the noise of a pitter-patter now sounding like tiny pebbles beating metal.

The two friends walked in silence for a while, since there wasn't much more to discuss. That and the Prime only spoke when it was needed, Ratchet understood this due to years of friendship. Soon after a few minutes of following the signal the two stopped in their tracks.

"My oh my... what happened here?" Ratchet exclaimed in shock. In front of them, slightly to the left, was a cliff-face with a slight slope. It was surrounded by rocks at the bottom, pieces of the gate were smashed everywhere. When looking up, it was obvious the gate had been hit with a violent force. The rocks at the bottom were covered in a blue fluid and dropped off to the ground where it made a trail heading off to a cave entrance. Optimus looked at all the evidence, his mindframe realising what had happened, or suspecting what could have happened.

"I do not think we are being fooled,"

Ratchet looked to Optimus as he scanned the blue liquid. "Definitely energon, a specific match is unable to be determined,"

The two kept walking on, Ratchet looking back at the cliff-face before at the trail of energon. Optimus was now following it, given that it took them to a cave, he assumed this was the right way to go.

The cave was very dimly lit and almost seemingly narrow. It was surprising that Optimus was able to fit given his height. His broad shoulders just nestled under the rocky roof of the cavern. Ratchet went first, the Prime ensuring they were not being followed as they ventured into the area. The energon resumed and got more fresh and frequent the deeper they went. Luckily the cave didn't close in, it actually opened up and revealed a large almost spherical shape of a cave.

It also revealed what the two mechs had been looking for this whole time.

Ratchet's optics widened, standing to the side as he let the Prime emerge as well. They were both taken by surprise from the sight. There at the opposite side of the spherically shaped cavern lay exactly the mech they were looking for.

"By Primus...," Ratchet said as he observed the scene. Optimus said nothing as he started to approach the extremely damaged mech. He then stopped to turn his helm towards the leg that lay a few meters away from Knockout, leaking with energon, and sparking at the cords.

"What do we do?" Inquired Ratchet to his leader, exchanging looks between the dismembered limb and the frame of Knockout. Optimus stayed silent for a while, not saying anything as he pondered on the four word question.

Even if the signal Knockout sent was, in fact, true, what if it was all part of a plan the Decepticons had made?

There was only one way to find out.

Optimus went to stand, making Ratchet shift back on his pedes. He then moved to Knockout, and surprisingly elevated him into his arms. Almost in a bridal style manner, gently yet with no proper desire nor excitement about his actions, Optimus finally turned to face his old friend.

"Ratchet, take Knockout's remains and open the groundbridge, we have a busy period of time ahead of us,"

-