12

-

Minutes had become hours, and hours had become days. The Autobots had kept their word, every day they maintained their focus on Knockout, finding whatever energon and equipment they could in order to increase the chances of the recovery of the cherry red mech. You were definitely thankful.

The most you found yourself doing around the base was exploring, one corridor departed from the main room and stretched off to a cluster of smaller rooms and tunnels. Optimus at first accompanied you but the more you got used to your way around he allowed you to venture yourself.

At current, you sat at the sofa the other humans you had yet to meet usually spent their time. Optimus thought it was best to wait until Knockout was secured. There were three, two boys and a girl, all under eighteen. The Autobots spoke highly of them, though some more than others. Ratchet seemed partly intolerant to have their presence a thing. Maybe that was why he was so short and grumpy with you.

As for everyone else, you warmed to them, and they all seemed to like you in return. Especially Smokescreen, who whenever he got the chance would spend his time with you. Arcee had let it slip to you that he wasn't used to humans yet, so his curiosity was all over the place. You were surprisingly okay with that because anything that would take your mind off Knockout was all you needed right now.

Absentmindedly you chewed on your lip whilst you watched Knockout's lifeless body from where you rested. His once gleaming paint was faded now from the damage already done, you knew he wouldn't be happy about that... if he was to wake up that is. Ratchet had luckily managed to deal with his servo, though some wires and cords were still out of place to an extent. The Autobot medic had also eased the sparking that originated from Knockout's missing limb and any other areas that had struck a light. Fly the bleeding that had continued to flow from Knockout's systems wasn't present, having eased off from both the passing of time and Ratchet's input of medical attention.

The groundbridge suddenly burst to life, lighting up the dead-ended corridor with masses of green, white and yellow electricity. It amazed you every time you saw it and you became even more mesmerized with each passing moment it was switched on. Like always, the vehicles the Autobots claimed as their own appeared through the portal of wonders. Three cars, a motorbike and a truck with no trailer.

Smokescreen, Bumblebee, Bulkhead, Arcee and Optimus Prime.

Once inside the main base area, they transformed. Optimus had several cubes of energon in his grasp, not a many as what they usually scavenged. Though in times like these every little contribution helped Knockout.

"They get more and more prepared every time," Bulkhead grumbled as the team pondered back on their recent outing. Smokescreen, who was always eager for conversation gave Bulkhead's shoulder a nudge as he passed him.

"You saying you're getting tired big guy?" He said with a chuckle. Bulkhead rolled the blue optics that contrasted his olive green plating and groaned, mumbling words you couldn't make out which only made Smokescreen break into laughter more. Arcee seemed to have heard it and cringed from your perspective, mouthing the word 'mechs' in your direction.

"Is this really all there was to take?" You then overheard Ratchet say to the Prime. Optimus stood just to your left, placing the energon gently down where Ratchet had requested.

"It was rather difficult to obtain this load given that Starscream came up front to the mine about it, he wanted a fight, but came out unsuccessful,"

"Yeah! We totally knocked him off his feet," Smokescreen piped up, as usual, making little boxing actions with his fists in reflection. It caused a smile to form on your lips, his childish manner always bringing you relaxation. You swore you saw a hint of a smile upon Optimus' faceplate too.