~3~

~3~

Minutes passed, and no one in the car had spoken a word. We finally arrived back at headquarters. I saw some cars I didn’t recognize but I did recognize two other cars. Jake’s blue 4x4 truck and Vasilko’s little white pick-up truck. Mika pulled up in front of headquarters, parking in front of the building. She shut off the engine and looked into the mirror, which hung from the car's inside.

“Well, were here,” Mika said, taking off her seat belt, I lifted my head from the window. The whole time in the car I had my head leaning against the window. Snow sat straight up and took off her seat belt, I did the same.

We all got out of the car and ran inside. It was still raining, ever since we left Mika’s house. Once we entered, almost everyone had said, “Hey Mika” or “Good morning, Mika” or “How are you today, Mika?” It was like Mika was the popular one around headquarters.

I had heard other people whisper, “Oh look it’s the girl!” I wasn’t really sure if they were talking about me or not. But Mika always responded to everyone’s questions or comments. We walked through billions of hallways, and Mika had practically had talked to about everyone in headquarters.

Finally, we reached Mr. Lekkerkerker’s office. Soon as we stepped inside, Jake, Vasilko and Devin were standing there, and Mr. Lek was sitting behind his desk. They all turned around to spot us standing in the doorway. We probably interrupted them when they were talking, I thought.

“HEY THERE’S MY TWYLA!” Jake exclaimed and ran towards me, hugging me in his big arms. “Did you sleep well at Mika’s place?”

I tried to get out of Jake’s grasp. He let go, that was good because I couldn’t breathe in his grasp. “It was alright,” I said, backing up and brushed my sweater like if someone had thrown crumbs and I had to sweep them away. I turned my gaze to Devin, who was standing there.

“Ah, Twyla and Snowflake are here now, that’s good, now I can explain a few things,” Mr. Lek said, getting up from his chair and started walking over to us.

“So… Did you contact ours parents?” Snow asked furiously.

“Um~ kind of,” Mr. Lek said with a little confusion in his voice.

“What do you mean kind of???” I asked. Making my hands into fist, like if I was going to throw the first punch. “What did you tell them?”

“We just told them that you’re in good hands,” Mr. Lek finally blurted out.

“So can we see them?” I asked, letting my fist relax.

“No, you can’t, we won’t let you,” Mr. Lek said softly.

“Why???” I shouted. I was practically in Mr. Lekkerkerker’s face. I almost started crying again. Jake started pulling me away from him. “Why?” this time I said it more quietly.

“Because…” Mr. Lek began.

“You don’t have a reason, don’t you!” I said, pointing at Mr. Lek and trying to get out of Jake’s grasp. Me and Mr. Lek began fighting. Or more like shouting at each other.

“I do have my reasons!” Mr. Lek shouted.

“Calm down, Twyla really, not in front of Mr. Lek,” Jake growled at me.

"I don’t care! I wanna go home!” I shouted in his face. Then all of the sudden I froze, everyone stared at me in shook. What am I doing, I’m losing it! I told myself.

“I’m sorry…” I said barely in a whisper. Then all of the sudden, I bursted out running, out of Mr. Lekkerkerker’s office.

“I’ll get her!” Jake said, before running after me.