Chapter 12 - Monster

Disclaimer: I'm no science or religion expert, so please excuse any error, misinformation, misconception, etc. about those two subjects in this chapter and the story as a whole. They are not meant to criticize and/or discriminate any group. If they come off as naive and offensive to certain groups or individuals, I apologize.

-----

Phana POV

Quiet. Dark. Cold. I find myself walking to the park Yo and I frequent. The very park we stacked our dreams together to create a perfect future we could happily live in. The same park we visit where I couldn't help but feel contented with my life - having him beside me, loving me unconditionally. It felt so good to be alive.

That's the slope where he played with the kids and got scratches. This bench I'm sitting on is the same exact one where he told me about wanting a Victorian house after we graduate. This is also the very spot where he rested in my embrace as we dreamt of growing old together, watching the sun rise in the porch of our little beach house, while holding each other's wrinkly hands.

The breeze brushes on my skin. It's so cold, so dark, so quiet. I touch the empty seat next to me, his usual spot, and see his beautiful smile in my head. I rest my elbows on my knees and bury my face in my hands as my mind drifts to the conversation I had earlier today that changed my life. I cry again.

~

"Virus XX09."

"I've never heard of that, Dr. Prachaya. What is it?"

"Yes, you probably have not. It's a relatively new virus."

"What is the cure?"

"I'm afraid there is none yet."

"Okay, just like a colds virus. So, how do the patients cope? I mean, it's really, really painful."

"Well, I guess you can put it that way, but you must understand, Phana, it's not that simple. Your case is extremely rare. There are only 26 recorded cases in the world and there is not enough information about it, save for the symptoms that they, uhm, well including you, have shown."

"Have shown. Meaning the symptoms go away at some point?"

"Yes, they do, but only when the patie..."

"Oh, so there's nothing to worry about then. I just have to endure the pain while it lasts."

"Highly potent and possibly dangerous painkillers are prescribed for the pain, and they usually do the trick during the early stages. I must warn you, though, that as it rapidly progresses, the pain becomes unbearable to the point patients beg doctors to resort to other ways to suppress it."

"Like what, Doctor?"

"Sedation and some even ask for, uhm... alternative means."

"Alternative means?"

"Phana, please listen to me carefully. Of the known cases, doctors, scientists and researchers have tried gathering as much information as they can, but even before they could come up with significant data to conduct a proper experiment, they run out of time."

"What do you mean, Doctor?"

"The test subject... dies."

Rare. No cure. Dies. Am I gonna die? What about my Wayo? What will happen to my baby? I won't get to see him anymore? He will cry for sure when he finds out about my disease. I don't want him to be sad. Guess I'll just hug and kiss him to comfort him when he does. Cold sweat. My heart stopped for a second and my eyes widen at the sudden realization. I look at Dr. Prachaya and immediately ask the most important question. "Can I pass this on to Wayo?"