(5)Set in Stone and Shadow

Set in Stone and Shadow

Aurora's POV

"Just smile, but don't smile too much..." I whispered to Trita as we walked towards the dinning hall. My best friend grabbed my hand nervously and smiled, demonstrating what she thought was the perfect balance between being polite, yet reserved. She looked constipated.

"Okay, no." I cringed and gently squeezed her hand; "Relax."

"It's hard to relax when the person telling me to calm down is having an internal seizure herself." Trita muttered and I shot her a look. We quieted down as we descended the staircase. A group of servants lined up close to the door and waited patiently for our arrival.

Thanatos and Hypnos nodded their heads and the servants bowed, casting their eyes down in respect. We followed behind our men, meeting each other's eyes with unease. I felt like we were walking towards a den of wolves.

Thanatos and Hypnos abruptly stopped in the middle of the spacious hallway. Trita and I nearly bumped into them, but quickly stepped aside and peaked out from behind to find the reason for their sudden pause.

A young woman, nearly still a girl, was walking up towards us, her eyes cast down and her hands folded neatly in front of her. Her dress was a deep pink, long-sleeved and flowing. She was beautiful, with big, round golden eyes and dark brown hair like chocolate.

Thanatos cleared his throat with a hint of amusement. Her eyes shot up with shock, like she hadn't even noticed that we were standing a few feet away from her. Those eyes... They looked exactly like Thanatos' golden eyes whenever he had to disguise the red on earth.

"T-Thana?" Her eyes filled with tears. I didn't expect her reaction at all. She looked so elated? "Hyp- What?" She jolted forward.

She was running up to Thanatos and Hypnos, her arms holding up her dress to keep her feet from tripping all over it and her smile beaming. "Oh!" She quite literally slammed against her brothers. Nevertheless, Thanatos and Hypnos were quick to pick her up in their arms and hold her close.

She had to be the youngest. She was barely a woman, my age when I met Thanatos, perhaps. Maybe even younger. I couldn't tell with these gods, but she was definitely younger than anyone I'd met here yet.

"You're back!" She laughed, her voice beautiful. Her accent was posh and similar to all her siblings', but even more refined. "I've missed you so much!"

Thanatos was the first to answer her, his red eyes filled with so much love. It was strange to see him so open and unreserved when it came to his sisters. I don't think there was anything he wouldn't do to make them happy. "Sweetheart, how have you been?"

"How have I been?" The young woman asked with frustration, her eyes growing even bigger. "I've been terrible! Where have you two run off to for so long? I thought you were coming back sooner, or at least to visit more often!"

"Eleos," Hypnos' voice was sad. "I wish it were as easy to come, but-"

"Don't make an excuse." Eleos snapped and fixed Thanatos with a heartbroken stare. She looked so fragile. "I hate it here. Without you both."

"Sweetheart..." Thanatos sighed and pulled her close. He held her and for now, that was all he could do. We watched from a few feet away, no sure if this was a family moment we should interrupt just yet.

Trita leaned in, her perfume sweet and spicy; "Eleos is...?"

"The youngest, if I remember correctly." I watched her argue with the twins, her pale hands so white in contrast with her big brothers'. They were so tanned, but she was fairer- like Nyx.