(18)Fort Black (Part 1)

Fort Black (Part 1) 

We reached Fort Black by sundown.

Orange filled the horizon and the clouds dispersed up to the north, opening the sky and filtering in the last remaining rays of sunlight. Nevertheless, the cold temperature remained and as I breathed out, the air around me filled with crisp, white fog.

Shadow was curled up around my waist, his head resting on my leather pouch. He was lightly snoring. It wasn't too loud to give away our location to an enemy spies, so I let him sleep.

I stepped onto the flattened part of the steep hill and lifted my hand up, signalling to my sibling to halt their steps. Silence fell over our small group and Apate leaned in to peer over my shoulder.

Dolos lifted a dark eyebrow and pulled a face; "What now?"

Nemesis was quick to shush him with an elbow to the ribs. He yelped softly and pinched her, but forgot just how thick and hard her armour was. I shot them both an angry look over my shoulder and they obediently stood still and shut their mouths. Moros leaned in; "I didn't know he was going to be here, I swear..."

In front of us stood Vikard, the leader of the Pazári. And sadly, an old friend and foe. We had a strained rapport- at best. We'd met long ago, when Hades had sent me on a diplomatic mission to the east. Back then, Vikard was just a young merchant with dreams of aspiring to greatness through his rich and powerful family connections. Over the years, he'd become a pain in Nyx's side, but she'd never bothered to end his so called 'new-age' reign. He was irksome; not a threat and more of a mosquito to swat away than a dragon to slay.

I nodded my head to him and his eyes narrowed with calculation. I suspected we would meet soon enough, just not this soon.

I whispered to Moros, but kept my face angled towards Vikard, eyes sharp; "When we're you meant to see him again?"

"At his palace, after searching the fort. He's never joined the hunt like this?"

"Seems something changed..." I urged the corners of my lips to tilt up into a small smile, but it was harder than I thought. I was in no mood to be friendly; least of all with Vikard the 'dickard'. Poseidon loved calling him that. Sometimes to his face too.

Vikard waved us over to his small campfire in the centre of the dilapidated fort's courtyard. The fire was barely enough to spread any warmth, but Vikard's men were huddled close to it like moths. I scanned the area- five by the fire, two close to Vikard, one at the fort's gate and three men in the treetops.

Quite the army for such a quick search...

"Thanatos." Vikard smiled broadly, baring his pearly teeth. His men bowed deeply, showing respect, but Vikard wasn't about to bend to me. Oh no... He tried to ignore his men's submissive nature and instead of showing me the respect I deserved, laughed; "What brings you so far east?"

"Two sisters, apparently..." I smiled and shot Moros a look. He ducked past me and greeted Vikard with a hesitant look.

"I didn't know you'd be joining?"

"And miss such a momentous occasion? Never." Vikard's smile grew more and more annoying as the seconds passed. He turned to examine me. "I heard you were in the region, but I never thought the great leader of our royal armies would have time to gallivant in search of a pair of monsters."

His tone was snarky. I didn't like it. "And I had no idea a merchant was so interested in hunting legendary creatures. Bored with the trade?" My smile was poisonous.

Vikard's looked everything but harmless too. "Not at all- I'm extending it, so to speak..." His eyes flickered from mine to the few standing behind me. "And I see you've brought more of your family. A pleasure, ladies. You're both even more radiant than you were described." He winked, but my Apate's face remained like stone.