(20)A King's Lingering Shadow

A King's Lingering Shadow

Aurora,

I have returned to Tundra today and I fear I will have to stay a while longer. It seems my brother is unharmed, but unstable. I don't frankly know where to go from here and I'm worried I don't know how to help him.

Wish you were here to advise me- you're pretty damn good at that lately. You should try and make a career out of it...

I hope you're well and I hope Hemera is enjoying it there. I miss you both so much.

Be safe and I'll keep you updated.

Love, Thanatos.

(Don't give Shadow anything- I promised him cookies when he gets back.)

I sighed and dropped the letter.

Damn. I gave Shadow a whole bag of popcorn before he left and before I'd even opened the envelope. Sneaky bastard...

Well, not my problem.

What was my problem, however, was that I still had to keep my damn secret!

I rubbed my flat stomach and smiled softly. It wasn't the worst secret too keep, but good gods, I so badly wanted to tell Thanatos. I rested my hand on the table and sighed. I guess waiting till all of this was over was probably for the best. He had enough to deal with now and I didn't want to take away his concentration from his family. Moros sounded like he really needed the help.

I skipped through a few pages of the report Calla had written for me on the completed festival season. My eyes skimmed the pages lazily until a servant walked up to the patio and bowed.

"My lady, princess Hemera is on her way to you. Would you like for me to bring you both some refreshments?" The kind man asked with a sweet smile.

I sighed and nodded, still flipping through the small booklet. Gods, Calla could turn a quick walk to the kitchen into a novel. "Wine, please... Oh, wait. No. Rather bring us some lemonade, please. And some light snacks." I smiled and the servant bowed and left.

Right. No alcohol. You're going to be a mother. Only once the baby is born you can drink. And probably drink a lot- good fuck what have I gotten myself into?

Relax, mild panic attacks are fine. Normal. Totally normal.

Hmmm... Yeah. You're pregnant, by the way, Aurora. In case you didn't know. Oh, thanks! I hadn't noticed...

Great. Now I'm mocking myself.

"Fantastic."

"Taking to yourself now?" Hemera's voice cracked through my mind and I was momentarily taken back by her sudden appearance out of thin air. How preoccupied with my own mind had I become lately?

"Ugh." I dropped my head onto the table and mumbled; "I'm sorry. I'm just not in the best of moods."

"My brother?" She asked a she pulled back a chair and sat down across from me.

"Yes and no." I leaned back in my chair and flipped Calla's report (more like a mini book) to the side. "I had a late night last night."

"Working?" Hemera frowned and crossed one leg over the other. Her yellow dress was shimmering in the sunlight. Odd colour- I'd never seen her wear such a vibrant shade and it looked brand new?

"For a bit and then Sonya called me over to her room to try and get Narray to sleep. The poor thing was screaming all night long. Barrios finally got home from Earth and Narray dozed off in his arms. It's like he has the magic touch."