(18)Fort Black (Part 2)

Hey my shadows!

So just a quick announcement-

I've changed the fanfiction competition prizes!
The first place will still get all his/her awards, but there will also be a second and a third winner. The second and the third winner are also entitled to any chapter in the Tales book of their choice (within the same restrictions that apply to the first prize winner).

I will announce the deadline soon, but expect it to be somewhere around end of December! Thus far, there are only two entries, so third prize is still up for grabs! 

If you're unsure of anything or uncertain about what kind of material you can enter, just take a peek at the COMPETITION page or throw me a DM.

Goodluck!

Fort Black (Part 2)

Fort Black (Part 2)

"Mine konta mou." I whispered to Nemesis and she pulled her hand up to clutch onto my cloak. It vibrated from her warm touch.

The air was colder down here, in the granary. Our breathing turned the air white and the blood flowing down into the tips of my fingers was slowing down. Even covered with thick leather gloves, my hands were still frozen. I could feel my sister's hand was shaking too as she gripped me close in the dark.

The grain cellar was the perfect hiding place- well, almost. It was far too cold for any creature, much less a cold-blooded one. The Gorgons had to have had some means of warmth here or they would never have survived. With the fort in ruins, cold air was finding its way into this once sealed off sanctuary rather easily.

It was pitch black, but luckily our torches were big and bright. I walked in front, with Nemesis by my side. Vikard chose to walk at the back with Moros, and Apate and Dolos were squeezed in the middle, much to Apate's annoyance. She pushed Dolos away a bit and grumbled; "If you step on my toe one more time..."

"Shh." I whispered and narrowed my eyes at them both. Dolos lifted his hands up in innocence and pointed at his dark-haired sister. Apate merely rolled her eyes.

"Stop." Nema pulled me back and shook me to a halt. "What?" I asked quickly and quietly, my eyes widening at her shocked face. I followed her gaze.

In the pitch black backdrop I could make out a faint, almost starry-like flicker. It was like a small firefly, twinkling in and out of the darkness. We stared at it for a few seconds, until Vikard whispered from the back; "What the hell are we doing?"

"Shh!" Nemesis shushed him too and pulled me closer. She leaned up to whisper; "Fire?"

I nodded my head slowly. It was a camp fire. I could smell it too; wood was burning close by. At first it was asked by the smell of damp grain and mold, but now it was more pungent.

"Stay here." I said and made a move to step closer towards the flickering light, but Nemesis and Dolos' hands on my shoulders pulled me right back. I shook them off; "Wh-"