(9)Swallowing Lead

Swallowing Lead

"How'd it go?"

Hypnos stood with his hand resting on the mantelpiece, a drink in the other. The scent of bourbon was sharp, but not to my taste. I kept my mouth shut, afraid of my brother's reaction.

What I had just done- by telling Eris a heavy and dark truth and potentially ripping away the very power my mother had over all of us- would have consequences. Dire consequences.

I knew Hypnos wouldn't see this the way I could. For one, he wasn't trying to steal Tundra away from his own mother, but then again, when was the last time I felt any sort of warm emotion towards the woman who birthed me? I considered it a blessing that hopefully soon Nyx's bloody hands would be cut from this place, but at what cost?

I sat down on the armchair and the cold leather brought a chill up my spine. My voice was soft and emotionless. I stared blankly at the floor. "Not well."

Hypnos stared at me. Those orange eyes flickered with no surprise, just frustration. "Thought so." He sighed and tapped a finger against the glass. "So what now? Should we venture out ourselves, or wait for the storm to fade?"

"No, we send the scout party tomorrow via my portal. I'll arrange it all this afternoon." I continued to stare at the floor, my hand reaching up to stroke at my bearded chin. My beard was getting too long now and I wanted nothing more than to shave it off, but Aurora liked it and it did help against the cold. I suppose one more week wouldn't hurt.

"But..." Hypnos' eyes narrowed in confusion, "I thought you said it didn't go well? She's allowing-"

"Nyx isn't 'allowing' anything anymore." I shot my eyes up to his and realisation dawned on him. He moved to sit across from me; his face pulled up in deep worry.

"Oh, gods. What did you do?"

"I..." I inhaled a deep breath and my eyes dropped away from his. A moment of weakness and he saw right through it. Hypnos dropped his glass on the table and shook his head. "You said something you shouldn't have..." He was silently panicking now. "Didn't you?"

"Perhaps."

"Perhaps my ass, Thanatos. What did you say to her?" Hypnos glared at me. He was seated on the edge of his chair, leaning in as if expecting me to whisper the answer. I looked up at him with a calm expression and it frustrated him even more.

"I didn't say anything of real importance to Nyx, but..." I sighed, "Eris was there."

"And?" Hypnos titled his head. His eyes looked darker in the firelight.

"First, I'd rather tell you what happened that led me to say what I did. Agreed?"

"Fine." Hypnos grumbled and pressed me on with a look of impatience. "I'm all ears."

"Nyx had tricked me into thinking we were alone. Long story-short- we weren't. Eris was there and I said some hurtful things about her delusions about us. Nyx manoeuvred me into the conversation. She wanted Eris to turn on me so it would be easier to get the rest on her side too."

"Eris must've been very upset. We both know how she feels about you."

"Well, she shouldn't. And she doesn't seem to hold Nyx in such high regard anymore."

Hypnos' eyes widened a bit, "We both know growing up Nyx always had the plan to put us all together somehow. Eris trusted in that- she believed in it. And she's Nyx strongest supporter. How on Earth did you turn this to our advantage?"

"You're not going to like it." I whispered and Hypnos furrowed his brows with inquisitive eyes.

"It can't be that bad. Did you promise her something? What did you do?"