CHAPTER 10

The next morning when I wake up, the house is eerily quiet. Taking my phone from the bedside table, I check out the time: 9:52am. I frown as I wonder why Ellie hasn't woken me up yet. Maybe we are going later in today. I'll be sure to bring more food this time.

Grabbing a few clothes and making my way to the bathroom, I listen for any sound in the house but there is none. Closing the bathroom door behind me, I cringe at my look in the mirror. A zombie looks better than me right now – and I'm talking about the very gross kind of zombies. My swollen eyes and lips make me look like a whole I got stung by a whole swarm of wasps. My hair sticks out in too many directions for me to count. 

Escaping my reflection, I step into the shower and let the water wash away my ugly morning face. Once I am showered and dressed, I make my way down to the kitchen and am surprised to find no sign of Ellie. I climb back up the stairs, thinking she is in her room but she isn't. Doubtful she left, I go to the front of the house and open the front door. Surely enough, her car is gone.

As I walk back to the kitchen, I dial her number and when she picks up, I don't wait and ask, "Care to tell me why you left me home today?"

"Good morning to you too. Heard you go to bed late this morning so I figured you were too tired and I let you sleep. You can always come tomorrow, it's no big deal."

I did go to bed a little late and I am still not fully rested even after eight hours. I'm a growing kid, I need my sleep.

"Oh, I see what this is," I start saying with a teasing in my voice.

Ellie must be frowning right now and her confusion transpires through her voice. "What do you mean?"

I begin to make myself breakfast, the phone wedged between my ear and shoulder. "You want to keep Will all to yourself," I say tauntingly.

For a moment, she's silent. Then, "Goodbye, Tracy." The phone clicks and the conversation is over.

I laugh to myself as I put the phone down on the counter. I know what I am going to do from now on. I am going to play matchmaker. I am going to do my best to get Will and Ellie to admit their feelings for one another – I am starting to believe Will has feelings for Ellie – and get them to go out. I'm not sure yet if I want to go help them with the fair as I consider giving them some time alone. But then again, what am I going to do here all alone? Sure, I've got books to read, but that's two weeks alone in the house reading books or two weeks touring the town alone. I decide I will go once in a while, enough times not to feel too alone and let them be together.

As I make my pancakes which are a must every morning, I put Coldplay on and sway my hips to the rhythm of Viva La Vida. I sing along happily, and I'm too distracted to realize I've made more pancakes than I need.

"Oh well, I'll eat you all guys," I say as I look at the eight pancakes staring up at me.

Putting them all on a plate and retrieving the syrup from the pantry, I go sit at the counter and start eating. I'm halfway through my first pancake when a noise at the back of the house catches my attention. Weird, I think. Leaving my breakfast, I make my way out of the kitchen and towards the back door.

And I hit someone's chest.

I start screaming in fright as arms come around my waist – to steady me or carry me away? – and I start kicking and thrashing and screaming louder.

"Jesus, Graham, would you shut the fuck up already?"

"Get off me! Get off me!" I yell.

Yann lets go of me and I stumble backwards. When he reaches out to steady me again, I slap his hand away and back into the wall.