CHAPTER 32

Will doesn't seem to be expecting the brutal move and stumbles when Yann attacks him, therefore making me lose my balance as I was leaning against him. I barely catch myself in time, gripping the counter behind me tightly. Once I'm freed of my surprise, I can focus on the sight before me. Yann has Will pinned against the stove by the collar now.

"I said, leave it! Not here, not now!" And to emphasize his words, he pushes will forcefully against the stove.

But Will doesn't seem to be any close to acting rational today, and instead of letting it go, he throws a violent punch towards Yann, hitting his cheek. Taken off guard, Yann stumbles backwards, cupping his cheek as blood trickles out of his mouth onto his chin. Will doesn't give him time to process the reality of the moment as he lunges at him, flattening him against the wall.

And I lose track of what happens. Punches on the right. Punches on the left. Head locks. Backs hitting the wall. And I stand in the corner, like an invalid, watching them, safe from all the blows that rain everywhere.

And, like the irrational person I am, I decide to jump in. But it's not the decision to jump in that makes me irrational, it's how I decide to jump in that renders my decision irrational.

I just get up and run towards the back that faces me. Is it Yann's? Is it Will's? I really cannot tell in this moment. I throw myself in the air, just like I did the first and only time I went horseback riding. Only that time, I had landed on a horse's back, this time I land on a human back. I tightly wrap my legs around a waist, my arms around a neck, and even the stops and you morons that I scream appear to be unreal to me. What is going on?

But apparently, one of the two beasts fighting hasn't seen me on the other's back. My horse gets hit awfully and he trips, falling with me in the process but having the incredible reflex to turn around in his fall, making me fall on top of him instead of on the floor. A loud humph fills the sudden silence as bodies collapse, and silence reigns again.

"Damn. Tracy, you're alright?" I get pulled off Yann's body by Will's hands as he yanks me up to my feet, inspecting my body. "You're alright?"

When I finally reply with what I force to be a strong yes, he relaxes, pulling me into his arms. I wrap my arms around him, place my throbbing head on his shoulder. My eyes catch sight of Yann on the floor as he pulls himself into a sitting position, leaning against the kitchen drawers.

I see him holding the back of his head as he grunts a little. My mouth opens to ask him if he's alright. I feel this herculean force that wants to push me to him and ask him if he is alright, but the words don't come and I stay glued in Will's arms.

Yann's eyes lift to meet mine. The blaze behind them has remained, and his face conveys a murderous expression. "Get out."

As Will hears his voice, he pulls away from me to look behind him.

"Both of you, get out."

Without another glance towards Yann, Will takes my hand in his and we leave.

***

I spend the rest of the day alone. I keep pondering what happened between Yann and Will endlessly, the images and words in my head like a song on a loop. It almost drives me crazy. But out of all that was said and done today, there is one thing that struck me the most. They can't do shit to you. What did Will mean by that? Who's they?

I thought a few hours after his altercation with Will that Yann would be in a less wrathful mood, but I was wrong. When I went back to his house, my voice sweet as I asked if he felt any better, he responded in a brutal voice, crudely telling me to (and I quote) piss the fuck off. Hearing those obscenities don't really bother me anymore, I have grown used to them. So I just left him alone and didn't bother him.